Sloping gardens
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I think a bike might do for work if you are OK with that and its not too hilly for you. A lot depends on there being a route you feel safe on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Proserpina

MartinH Offline
Sorry to hijack, but we've got the go-ahead for our own house move. We move on Thursday! Can't wait to get stuck in to the garden!

I don't think I shared my rough sketch of the back garden before, so here it is now. The back garden faces almost due South and slopes slightly down away from the back of the house...

When we've moved I'll start a new thread and take some pictures.

The rightmove pictures don't do the place justice, but here they are anyway...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/100465244#/
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have just emailed my offer to the estate agents  Cry

The market is so crazy right now, it's anyone's guess how competitive this house will be. It's on with two agents - as of Friday, the agent I viewed with hadn't received any offers, but the other agent could have multiple offers already. It's a long way from making an offer to actually getting a house!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Looks great Martin - love the garden!! I can see the attraction of living there - across the road from the Flower Show.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • MartinH

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(16-05-2021, 06:00 PM)Veggie Wrote: What is public transport like from there to your work, Pros, as I don't think you're a car driver yet?
If you don't need the room over the driveway as a bedroom, it would make a great library for books and seeds - maybe a growing room if it has a couple of windows.

The public transport isn't amazing, but not awful either. Both hospitals I'll be working at in the next year will be commutable within an hour on public transport. I would prefer a shorter commute, but I can cope! After that, I'll have to be able to drive as I'll spend a year in a hospital in a neighbouring town - could be up to an hour away by car, never mind public transport! There are currently 4 month waiting lists for driving lessons. If I get an offer accepted somewhere, I can hopefully start lining up driving lessons for when I move.
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(16-05-2021, 09:42 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I think a bike might do for work if you are OK with that and its not too hilly for you. A lot depends on there being a route you feel safe on.

It's very hilly! I don't think I'd be confident riding a bike on busier roads anyway. I'm also still struggling a lot with breathlessness post COVID, so I think trying to ride a bike up a hill might finish me off! Maybe an option for the future once my lungs get back to normal.
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Pros. You've looked at a house in that area before, I think. When I looked at the Map I "knew" where I was!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(16-05-2021, 11:26 PM)MartinH Wrote: Sorry to hijack, but we've got the go-ahead for our own house move. We move on Thursday! Can't wait to get stuck in to the garden!

I don't think I shared my rough sketch of the back garden before, so here it is now. The back garden faces almost due South and slopes slightly down away from the back of the house...

When we've moved I'll start a new thread and take some pictures.

The rightmove pictures don't do the place justice, but here they are anyway...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/100465244#/

Ooh, Martin, that's lovely! That's just about my dream house (once it's been knocked into shape a little bit) and that's a great garden. So nice you have a wooded area at the bottom. That'll be lovely for getting mulch and doing a bit of forest gardening. Something for me to aim for on my next move!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(17-05-2021, 12:18 AM)Veggie Wrote: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Pros. You've looked at a house in that area before, I think. When I looked at the Map I "knew" where I was!!

I did! Just the next road over, but I rejected it because it was too done up. And the money pit I posted about is just up the road from this one too. So, not my first choice area, but I do seem to keep getting drawn back here.
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(17-05-2021, 12:09 AM)Proserpina Wrote: I have just emailed my offer to the estate agents  Cry

The market is so crazy right now, it's anyone's guess how competitive this house will be. It's on with two agents - as of Friday, the agent I viewed with hadn't received any offers, but the other agent could have multiple offers already. It's a long way from making an offer to actually getting a house!

Good luck!

Might you be able to car share when you have to do the longer commute, shifts willing obviously?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie