I third that motion
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Well, I didn't take any photos so that will have to wait until I'm in. However, it was a good visit.

I walked up into the village from the nearest big shopping area (my phone says I've done 16000 steps today, many of which were straight up a steep hill!) After my original viewing back in May, I saw the local heron standing on the weir in that shopping area - I took it as a good omen for the house when I was trying to decide whether or not to make an offer. Weirdly, having not seen the heron since, I then saw it in the river at the bottom of the valley as I was walking up today. So, definitely a good omen! I will try to post a picture of the heron later, but my phone isn't playing right now.

I went by my vendor's new build first and that looks finished from the outside. The show flats are open for viewings and there were a few people going in as I walked by. Hopefully it's just the last fixtures and fitting going in now.

Then down to the house with much trepidation!

It was actually great to be back. It's strange that so many things were different to the way I remembered (partly due to my reliance on the rather poor EA photos that I have looked at almost every day since May!), but the overall feel of the place was still really good and I do think I'll be happy there. There's been a recent incident with a forgotten boiled egg on the hob, so the whole place was a bit smelly, but that will fade.

My vendor is really lovely. As she's downsizing (from a four-bed house to a one-bed flat), she has offered me lots of furniture and other things. I've said yes to a few things (including her three-piece suite that will be really useful to tide me over until I have had the place rewired and replastered, a big ladder, an almost new lawnmower, lots of garden pots, and a rusty old spade and pick-axe) and she wouldn't take any money for them. We had a bit of a walk around the house together and it's all still there! The garden was quite a bit smaller than in my memory, but I was expecting that as I knew the photos were a bit misleading. I got to go inside the greenhouse and it looks in decent shape - just needs a good scrub and a vent or two fitting. I couldn't get in the shed today as the door has dropped, but I'm sure I can fix that easily enough. She has confirmed that there are no bulbs in the lawn, so I don't need to worry about putting cardboard down to get some beds going. The house definitely needs lots of work, but I think it will be really nice with a bit of time and effort.

Overall, I'm feeling the most optimistic I have since my offer was first accepted. Roll-on completion is all I can say!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 8 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
So pleased for you, Pros. Sounds perfect!
Does the lady have any idea of when the move may happen?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You sound quite sensible Pros. The work that needs doing will get completed in your own time and the hand-me-down furniture will be fine until you find your favourite stuff. So many people want bright shiny new from the get go. Our lad had grandma's furniture for his first home and although he admits its a bit old fashioned and past its best he says it has done good service and reminds him of grandma every day, so won't get rid. I think he's just tight. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I think we are both hoping for completion in the first half of December, basically as soon as her flat is ready. She did sound a bit wistful talking about going from a big house to a small flat (especially as she's been there 64 years and it was her married home and where she raised a family), but she still seems very set on the idea and it's probably good timing while she's still fit. She must be somewhere in the 85 - 90 range (probably at the upper end of that, if not slightly over) and still doing very well, but although she managed the stairs inside easily, she left me to go up the rather wonky garden steps on my own.

I do think that part of inviting me over today was to have a sense of handing the house over rather than just the practical aspects of working out what to do with furniture she can't take with her. She had remembered everything we talked about when I viewed, particularly how keen I was on the garden so has made sure to leave all the garden things (apart from two garden chairs that her daughter is going to have). Just a lovely, lovely lady.

I need to chase up my solicitors to work out what enquiries are outstanding and then hopefully we can crack on with exchange. Possible completion dates being touted are between 2 - 10th December, but that's just from the estate agent so it's meaningless until my solicitor weighs in!
[-] The following 6 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Oh, I also walked past the Money Pit today (it's just 30 seconds walk up the road from the house). The new owners are completely gutting it and have taken the rear single-storey extension down - I presume with a plan to do a two-storey extension at the back so that it can have more bedrooms. It looks very expensive!!! Still wish I could get a garden that size, but no regrets when it comes to the house itself - no way I could take on a project like that while also working full time.
[-] The following 6 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Fingers crossed Pros! It's your solicitor that will likely be the driving force for the dates to be set. Chase.. every... day... I think I'd still be sat in the old house now four months later if I hadn't chased all the solicitors every day. It's a pain in the backside.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Here's the heron:

I'm looking forwards to lots of walks in the woods running through the bottom of that valley and all the surrounding fields and hills. The village is on the end of a built-up spoke going out of the city. If I walk 10 minutes up the road from the house, I will be in open countryside. In that way, it's very similar to the village I grew up in, which is not surprising as it's just a few villages over (though the village where my parents still live is a bit smaller and a bit further out). It was so nice to be able to just set off and be fully in the fields and woods within moments when I lived there and I think this will offer the same benefits. It will be a good opportunity to regain my fitness, which I very much lost after I had COVID a year ago.
[-] The following 9 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sounds ideal, Pros. You can't beat a bit of countryside on your doorstep.
Your heron reminds me of Norman! Someone local christened their visiting heron Norman and the name has stuck! Now, anyone who spots a heron, calls it Norman - its usually on the lines of "Norman ate all the fish in my pond"!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I got the contract at last! It's signed and ready to go in the post tomorrow.

Next is coming up with a date for exchange and getting the deposit money to my solicitor. The sooner the better!
[-] The following 10 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie