What do you add to your soil
Spec Offline
What do you add to your garden to keep your soil healthy, I mostly use seaweed, which I just throw on to the soil and let it rot down and it seems to work, also recommended is rock dust which adds various minerals and ofcourse garden compost and manure but what would you recommend for a health garden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Nothing! Mine is left to its devices - autumn leaves are left where they fall.
The only things I add are when planting - like chicken manure pellets in planting holes for beans.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I use chicken manure pellets, home made compost, loam off the bog, and farmyard manure when I can get it.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Spec

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Homemade compost, cardboard, woodash,old potting compost from toms etc,Comfey leaves and sometimes weeds left where they are when hoe-ing. BFB at planting or sometimes a slow release fertiliser.

It aint pretty but it seems to work for me.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Bren Offline
Like Vinny I use dalek compost, wood ash then leaf mould. A bit of BFB and comfrey tea.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

mcdood Offline
I add homemade compost, well rotted manure, leaf mould, spent pot compost and occasionally feed plants with comfrey tea.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(05-02-2021, 04:18 PM)Spec Wrote: also recommended is rock dust which adds various minerals

Rock dust is mostly calcium carbonate, so best avoided if you have alkaline soil like mine.

"For home gardeners, rock dust is a waste of money and natural resources."  https://www.gardenmyths.com/rock-dust-re...ize-earth/

Or you could watch this video:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my raised beds, so I haven't had a chance to mulch them yet, but I plan on adding home-made compost (including worm compost) in due course. That's about it, really.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Broadway Offline
For my new beds this year I've added layers of grass, cardboard, leafs, and manure. Will probably add chicken pellets/BFB before or at planting time.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I put homemade compost on beds needing it, also in planting holes. Chicken pellets and/BFB at planting or sprinkled a week before. My supply of horse manure is rather seedy so it goes into the compost bins and I hope for the best.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I find home made compost from grass and weeds really improves the soil. The only trouble with mine is it often holds a lot of weed seeds. I just spread it on the top and am prepared to do a wee bit of hoeing.

In the greenhouse I usually fill each plant hole with bought compost and then comfrey through the year. I have quite a bit of home produced compost from a hot bin this year so I'll try some of that in the greenhouse and compare the two.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • mcdood, Spec