How are your Japs doing?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Question 
I planted Japanese onion sets in autumn (about October if I remember rightly).

I now have my spring planted sets ready to go in and looking at my autumn planted sets, some haven't even put out a growing shoot yet. They have a few roots but that's about all.
Usually when I am ready to plant out the spring sets the Japs are about 6 inches tall......but not this year.

Anyone else's Japs lagging behind?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
Dont grow them anymore Vinny, too much faff for a crop that dosent store well
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Vinny Offline
(04-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Admin Wrote: Dont grow them anymore Vinny, too much faff for a crop that dosent store well

I've always grown them and usually have more success with them than spring planted sets. I sometimes pull them 'in the green' if I run short of onions. They have always stored fine for me but still get eaten before spring planted onions.
The red version never seem to run to seed on me like the spring planted version that's why I only grow red onions from seed in the spring (sown today).
I think it must be weather related as they are a tad behind where they should be but will probably catch up. Smile
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(04-02-2021, 05:33 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Admin Wrote: Dont grow them anymore Vinny, too much faff for a crop that dosent store well

I've always grown them and usually have more success with them than spring planted sets. I sometimes pull them 'in the green' if I run short of onions. They have always stored fine for me but still get eaten before spring planted onions.
The red version never seem to run to seed on me like the spring planted version that's why I only grow red onions from seed in the spring (sown today).
I think it must be weather related as they are a tad behind where they should be but will probably catch up. Smile
Vinny, what do you mean by ‘in the green ’ ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I planted lots in a bit of the garden that does have white-rot so will need to watch them closely, probably from mid may depending on weather. They have been flooded in the last few weeks but seem to be surviving.
I've not measured them but they look to be 4 to 8 inches. There are few gaps. I did have some spare that were on the path in a box and have sprouted a few inches but not got round to putting them in the gaps.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(04-02-2021, 08:09 PM)Can the Man Wrote:

Onions are normally stored and eaten when the tops have died back. They can be eaten 'in the green' which simply means pulled when immature with the tops still green and not fully developed. Smile
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-02-2021, 10:23 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 08:09 PM)Can the Man Wrote:

Onions are normally stored and eaten when the tops have died back. They can be eaten 'in the green' which simply means pulled when immature with the tops still green and not fully developed. Smile
Thanks Vinny, all clear now
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
An when you eat then 'in the green', you eat most, like leeks, including the leaves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Vinny