Sowing by the phase of the moon
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
To me, its just like writing down what you will do for a full lunar year based on what the moon is doing? It doesn't take into consideration any other climatic changes, soil temperatures or hours of sunshine.
I can't predict what i will be doing the following day, never mind a year ahead! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(04-02-2021, 12:12 PM)Vinny Wrote: To me, its just like writing down what you will do for a full lunar year based on what the moon is doing? It doesn't take into consideration any other climatic changes, soil temperatures or hours of sunshine.
I can't predict what i will be doing the following day, never mind a year ahead! Rolleyes

My planting schedule for 2021 is intended as a guideline/aide-memoire, not a battle plan Big Grin

I just know that, because I'm busy with a full-time job and other responsibilities, it's easy to lose track of time and forget that I really ought to be sowing X, Y and Z in, say, April if I want to harvest them at their peak in July. So, putting those plants into the appropriate slot on my lunar calendar helps me to feel more prepared. It's no different from any other planting calendar, except that the jobs are divided up by week, not just by month.

I would love to be retired and with decades of experience under my belt so I could just wing it from day to day, but I'm not there yet!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Moon gardening may work, but I am not methodical enough either to do it, or to keep notes to record if it actually works.

I am happy to potter in the garden any time, but I've noticed I get a real urge to be out there planting/sowing/moving stuff just before it rains. My mum was the same, so much so that even the neighbours expected rain when she was furtling about, whether the sky was overcast or cloudless.

I wonder if subconsciously we both react to a change in the pressure as the glass drops towards rain?
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 6 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I have an excel spreadsheet so I remember what to plant when. Big Grin
A lunar calendar sounds much nicer  Heart
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
(04-02-2021, 12:36 PM)Eyren Wrote: I would love to be retired and with decades of experience under my belt so I could just wing it from day to day, but I'm not there yet!

Yes Eyren, being retired with decades of experience under your belt(and being lucky to have room under the beltRolleyes) gives you a better chance of making mistakes that you missed in the previous decades Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie