Runner beans
Mikey Offline
These are my favourite seasonal veg, I say seasonal but the freezer might disagree. I grow about 20 plants in a trench made up of winter veg peelings And topped with the first grass clippings of the year, before covering over and leaving to rest. I never move the trench, they are a permanent fixture.

I have no idea what variety I grow and neither does my father as they were his grandfathers and we’ve never grown anything different. I’ve experimented with different types in wigwams around the garden but, always saved these. I give away about 200 a year to the local gardening club to sell on as I have a lot of saved seeds generally. 

They get a little black fly some years and some rust towards the end of the season but, they never let me down.

What runners do you grow?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m growing a mix this year. Scarlet empire, Scarlet & white lady.
I was hoping to grow just one variety so I could save seeds. For some reason I’ve struggled with germination this year. So I’ve got a mix. Not to worried as long as I get a good harvest. I’m doing the trench thing this year for the first time. Always wanted to do it. Always remembered about it after I’d planted them  Rolleyes .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't like the runner bean pod so I am growing for butter bean type seeds only. Cool

I have Gigantes, White Emergo and White Lady  all white seeded varieties Big Grin

I will have to get cracking on their final planting position (already have canes up) because they are starting to grow tall now in he greenhouse Confused
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Offline
I grow Scarlet emperor bought the seeds 12 years ago and saved the seeds ever since, I pick them when they're 5 to 6 inch long.
Still have some left in the freezer hopefully they'll last until those I've got growing are ready.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I grow saved seeds of Scarlet Emperor, and also some Firestorm in case it is a bad pollinating year. I suppose my saved seeds are probably a cross between the two now, but I only save seeds that have the typical SE colouring.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Vinny, my wife isn't keen on the pods when they are thick so I have to edge them first obviously they are an old variety and have a string seam, they are then placed between thumb and forefinger and sliced away from me into a bowl at a thickness of no more than 2mm. Then steamed until soft.

A bowl of runner beans with fresh ground black pepper and lots of salted butter is a lunchtime treat with some soft fresh wholemeal bread, mmmm a hot runner bean sandwich. Smile

Roll on summer.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Mamzie, Moth