Potatoes - how deep?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The only reason I earth up is if frost is forecast, and then it can't really be classed as earthing up because I only cover up any leaves that are showing with  grass cuttings if I have any or soil if I haven't. I think earthing up CAUSES more green potatoes as they push out the side of the mound.
If it wasn't frosty my spuds would just be grown on the flat in an 8 to 10 inch hole planted using a bulb planter and some used compost added. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Spec, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I just plant a little deeper, never really understood the concept of earthing up
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
In the same way tomatoes will root on the stem if it is buried, so will potatoes. Potatoes form on underground stems. Earthing up (or planting deep) increases the length of stem underground, so increases the opportunity for potatoes to develop. It must increase the yield or farmers would not use expensive ridge making machines when planting spuds. Planting extra deep is OK, but the plant has to use much more energy before leaves reach the surface and replace the energy used.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Spec, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(24-01-2021, 10:56 PM)Moth Wrote: In the same way tomatoes will root on the stem if it is buried, so will potatoes. Potatoes form on underground stems. Earthing up (or planting deep) increases the length of stem underground, so increases the opportunity for potatoes to develop. It must increase the yield or farmers would not use expensive ridge making machines when planting spuds. Planting extra deep is OK, but the plant has to use much more energy before leaves reach the surface and replace the energy used.
I think one of the reasons farmers ridge their soil to make it easier to harvest with a machine? As far as I am concerned the jury is out? No-diggers seem to manage OK.  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Local farms dont ridge here, so as mentioned, horses for courses
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We all seem to have slightly different ways to grow spuds!! Fascinating.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(25-01-2021, 12:08 PM)Veggie Wrote: We all seem to have slightly different ways to grow spuds!! Fascinating.Smile
That's why gardening  is so interesting. Cool It would be a bit boring if everyone gardened the same way. Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Planting deeper would have the same effect as earthing up. It can increase the yield by lengthening the underground stem which the potatoes grow from. It may help some varieties more as some seem to bunch close to the stems while others grow more spread out.
If the seed is on the small size and planted 11" or a foot down, it may be knackered when it eventually reaches the light. It may be better still plant a foot down but leave it in a bit of a dip so only has to grow 4" before the light. Then fill in as it grows stronger.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(24-01-2021, 04:12 PM)Spec Wrote: I have been thinking on your question Veggie and I think that it will be a project to work on, I think I will try growing 4 different ways using 1st. bucket with soil as control, 2nd. with a layer of soil then kept topped up with cardboard/paper, 3rd. layer of soil topped up with mix of cardboard/paper and leaves 4th. layer of soil topped up with a mix of cardboard /paper and seaweed all will be fed with a comfrey feed as required, I will also keep a photo record, I might even give vidio recording a try
Nice test Spec looking forward to seeing the progressSmile

I assume you are using the same variety of potato, I know probably a stupid question!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Vinny

Spec Offline
(31-01-2021, 03:55 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(24-01-2021, 04:12 PM)Spec Wrote: I have been thinking on your question Veggie and I think that it will be a project to work on, I think I will try growing 4 different ways using 1st. bucket with soil as control, 2nd. with a layer of soil then kept topped up with cardboard/paper, 3rd. layer of soil topped up with mix of cardboard/paper and leaves 4th. layer of soil topped up with a mix of cardboard /paper and seaweed all will be fed with a comfrey feed as required, I will also keep a photo record, I might even give vidio recording a try
Nice test Spec looking forward to seeing the progressSmile

I assume you are using the same variety of potato, I know probably a stupid question!

Yes Danny the same variety will be used and in all the same type of bucket, after I had posted about trying this I remembered something that Veggie had mentioned in the past about reading a book about a lady who used bales of hay or straw to grow her potatoes can't remember her name it's Stour or Stout or something similar so hope paper might do the same
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Vinny