Extra early potatoes
Jimny14 Offline
Having a different thought re potatoes. 
I'm wondering about trying to force some extra early new potatoes. I have no green house but do have a couple of thoughts. 
Option one - potato grow bag tucked against sunniest south facing house wall I can find, filled with compost. Wrap in a couple of layers of fleece. Water compost well with hot water to get some more warmth in then plant spud in centre of warm compost. Cover top with fleece.

Option two - grow more normally in our detached garage, its not heated but I've never seen any frost in it. Light in garage is mainly from east facing obscured glass garage door and south facing pedestrian door, all are half glazed only. 

The potatoes I have are Nicola and that's all I'm planning on using this year. Anyone any thoughts?
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you got enough spuds try both methods. Are you going to chit them first on a window sill to give them a helping hand with there head start or straight into the compost?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Jimny14 Offline
They're chitting at the moment.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Could you grow them in sheep fleece? Wink

Has anyone tried starting spuds in small pots and transplanting them into their final pots?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-01-2021, 03:51 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: Having a different thought re potatoes. 
I'm wondering about trying to force some extra early new potatoes. I have no green house but do have a couple of thoughts. 
Option one - potato grow bag tucked against sunniest south facing house wall I can find, filled with compost. Wrap in a couple of layers of fleece. Water compost well with hot water to get some more warmth in then plant spud in centre of warm compost. Cover top with fleece.

Option two - grow more normally in our detached garage, its not heated but I've never seen any frost in it. Light in garage is mainly from east facing obscured glass garage door and south facing pedestrian door, all are half glazed only. 

The potatoes I have are Nicola and that's all I'm planning on using this year. Anyone any thoughts?
The Hotbin comes with a "hot water bottle" that you fill with boiling water and bury in the compost to start heating it. Maybe you could do that with your spud compost. Make sure the bottle is suitable for boiling water first.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
(21-01-2021, 05:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you grow them in sheep fleece? Wink

Has anyone tried starting spuds in small pots and transplanting them into their final pots?

Hhmmm maybe could plant em in big ish deep pots. In the garage and then transplant them later. Maybe that's option 3. I could put them up higher n get more light to them in smaller pots.
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(21-01-2021, 05:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you grow them in sheep fleece? Wink

Not tried it but have seen videos of people doing it successfully.

I would start them in the garage, take them outside if the foliage is getting leggy, cover with fleece at night and bring back into the garage if frost is forecast.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Veggie

Bren Offline
I grow my spare potatoes in flower buckets one to a bucket and get a decent crop so was wondering could you do the same then place the buckets on a indoor window sill ?

Before I had my GH i used to grow toms on the kitchen window sill in flower buckets.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Veggie, Vinny

mcdood Offline
I would try them against the south facing wall and bring them into the garage if the temp drops to 0. It sounds like you may not have enough light in the garage to leave them there permanently but worth an experimental bucket anyway. With the outside ones just be very careful of frost once the foliage pops up. If the foliage does get hit a bit with frost it's not the end of the world it just means your extra early spuds will no longer be extra early.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Ok so I have planted up a couple of options about 10 days ago. I have one in a grow bag rolled down in the cold frame that I've moved against the west facing wall of the house. And also a deep pot on the window in the garage so gets maximum light available but not as much soil. Will try to remember to keep both watered well.
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie