Vegetarian and vegan recipes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I signed up to Veganuary for January, even though I won't be stopping eating my chooks' eggs.
They send a daily email with a bit of guidance and some recipes. Some of the adjustments are easy to make. Worth a look https://veganuary.com/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-01-2021, 04:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: I haven't eat meat/poultry for about 30 years but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy.
Lots of "normal" meals are vegetarian and don't need to be "labelled" - like pizza, pasta, beans on toastWink, chilli sin carne = red beans, tomatoes, onions and, um, chillies.
That split pea dahl I posted earlier - lots more recipes on Hodmedod's site.
Sounds like a daft question I know veggie, but was there one particular reason 30 years a go that you took the plunge and stopped eating meat?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m going to try these as well. Kale bhajiya 

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Scarlet, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-01-2021, 06:56 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(19-01-2021, 04:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: I haven't eat meat/poultry for about 30 years but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy.
Lots of "normal" meals are vegetarian and don't need to be "labelled" - like pizza, pasta, beans on toastWink, chilli sin carne = red beans, tomatoes, onions and, um, chillies.
That split pea dahl I posted earlier - lots more recipes on Hodmedod's site.
Sounds like a daft question I know veggie, but was there one particular reason 30 years a go that you took the plunge and stopped eating meat?
Several reasons - convinced me that I couldn't eat animals.

I was working with a vegetarian and, when we stayed away in hotels/ate in restaurants, I didn't eat meat to keep him company. It didn't seem that difficult to find alternatives.
I also worked in Agriculture and was taken to an egg hatchery and to see the different ways that hens were kept from free range/barn to battery. That stopped me buying eggs and I got my own chooks.
There was the Mad Cow business when cattle were being fed animal parts when it should have been grass. The end of beef for me.
Pigs kept in crates - no more pork.
The final step - at Christmas  I always cooked a free range goose that was ordered in advance from a smallholder near Brecon. I drove home over the Brecon Beacons with the plucked bird on the passenger seat and by the time I reached home I had decided that I was not going to eat it. So I cooked it for my husband and had a veggie meal myself. I never ate meat after that day although I still cooked it for him.

The only things I miss are picking on a bone and crispy skin - not bacon as every thinks you should.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Great thread!
We started moving away from meat about ten years ago and now only eat it once or twice a week, we have fish once and the rest is vegetarian, with vegan at least once a week. I like to find traditional dishes from places where little or no meat is eaten rather than adapted dishes. YouTube is full of (mostly) women from the Indian subcontinent cooking traditional family recipes.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Some of these look quite scrummy and you can't go wrong with Nigel Slater!
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/ja...an-recipes
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Made what I call hummus but I didn't have any tahini so used peanut butter instead: 200g dried broadbeans soaked (for a couple of days) and then cooked, 4 cloves garlic, glug of olive oil, some lemon juice and usually 1/2 jar tahini but used a big scoop of smooth peanut butter. Tastes OK but rather solid and not too much like hummus. I don't think I add enough lemon juice. Use in sandwich with cheese. I use a potato masher to mix.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(19-01-2021, 08:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: The only things I miss are picking on a bone and crispy skin - not bacon as every thinks you should.

It's often texture, isn't it? I don't miss bacon either - from time to time I buy Tofurky Treehouse Tempeh, which hits all the same savoury/sweet/smoky notes without the enormous amounts of fat and salt. If I want to be really indulgent I have a couple of strips on avocado toast, which is absolutely yummy!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
When I eat corn on the cob, I try to imagine its a "bone" that I'm gnawing on!!! I'm not convinced though. Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
We had this for tea this evening. Used tromboncino as the squash. I can highly recommend it. Very very nice and filling.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/roas...ensleydale

Looking forward to trying with other varieties of squash.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie