Time for a step back for the future
Spec Offline
I know many of you will be well in front of me in preventative action, but after reading Sc's comment on another thread and something clicked, I have decided to take a step back and stop using, as much as possible, plastic, once all the cell trays that I have are used up I will be using wooden trays for sowing seed with cans and unavoidable purchased plastic bottles for potting on, I will also concentrate on making my own seed and potting compost and once all the larger pots and buckets have been used up I will go back to clay pots
What will you do
[-] The following 8 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Eyren, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Apart from making (enough) my own compost, I don't buy pots and modules but use whatever I have or repurpose other containers. Can't remember the last time I bought any pots. If you really need some, used ones are often at garden centres for free.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
I have a number of freebies from a local nursery, I suppose reusing such items is better than them being dumped in landfill sites, hopefully even these will stop soon as I have seen some pots made of compressed paper though not sure how long they would last
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Many plant nurseries are turning to recyclable pots in colours that aren't black, as the black ones were rejected by the recycling graders. Of course, its better to reuse them many times before they are recycled.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
I do what I can regards recycling, could probably do more....

The seeds I sowed in the week were in paper pots I made, the labels were made from a milk carton, albeit plastic.

The last year I think I've reused most of the compostable items that deliveries have arrived in.

I've had various items from friends to use at the allotment - tree clippings, grass clippings, cardboard

All uncooked food scraps are composted.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I do use plastic pot and trays but never new ones. Most of my plastic is hand me down from dear deceased mama who died 11 years ago and are still in perfect condition (the pots, not mama ?) . I recycle water, everything compostible is composted, and if I can reuse I do. I try to minimise travel even in non lockdown and try to make every mile count. We have solar panels to supplement our energy. I clothes shop in charity shops. My gardening shoes, until recently, were my lad's school shoes (he's now 32!). I'm sure there are always going to be more ways to become greener, even when you think you've done all you can.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Broadway Offline
We should probably have a recycyle type thread/section on the site?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Your wish is my command Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I run a local FB zero waste group, and use donated pots along with varied plastics from shopping when we give plants away in summer Smile
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 4 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I haven't bought any modules or seed trays in ages, as I have loads left from my first gardening craze a decade or so ago. Our council does a lot of recycling so my food waste has previously gone into municipal compost, but last spring I started composting at home (hot bin and wormery), and the compost for filling my raised beds is made from bracken and sheep's wool, which are waste products from farming in Cumbria.

I'm still buying plastic items where they're long-lived and other materials are either impractical or ruinously expensive, e.g. water butts, but I won't be buying any more single-use/short lifespan plastics. I'm undecided what to use in my new conservatory, as I need big containers for peppers, chillies and aubergines - ceramics look lovely but are very heavy and quite expensive!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie, Vinny