Bean Varieties
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure Bren keeps her runners growing by digging up and storing somewhere frost free? Maybe wrong.
I don't think they would survive frosts?

I have always start fresh every year. Even though I'm in west wilts I can get hit by some hard prolonged frosts - I'm low and near the river, so I don't plant out until 1st June.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-01-2021, 06:42 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(20-01-2021, 06:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Yes - I eat runners dried too. Beans and tomatoes are my favourite things to eat.
I didn’t know you could use them dried ! The amount I’ve chucked in the compost because the beans have got to big on the plant ( mostly the ones I can’t reach).  Couldn’t keep for seeds, as I usually grow more than one variety and they could be cross breed.
The odd ones that have gone a bit big on the plant - mid season, I shell and freeze the pods fresh. Keep a bag in there ready and just top up. I defrost when I've saved enough for a meal or tow, stick a load of tomatoes, onion and garlic in and some spices. Let sit in the oven for a few hours, add fresh herbs when it's done and eat as a side dish or on spuds.

#boil the beans for a bit first.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Bren Offline
(20-01-2021, 06:44 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I'm sure Bren keeps her runners growing by digging up and storing somewhere frost free? Maybe wrong.
I don't think they would survive frosts?

I have always start fresh every year. Even though I'm in west wilts I can get hit by some hard prolonged frosts - I'm low and near the river, so I don't plant out until 1st June.

I always save a few potting them up and leaving them in my unheated  GH they do seem to do well producing 4 or 5 new shoots in spring.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Muckly, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a couple of Gigantes bean plants that have regrown every spring for 3 or 4 years. I don't dig them up - same with all my beans. I've had some ?Firestorm that have come back for a couple of years too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think maybe a mix of the cold and very wet soil here?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve left runners in the ground because the roots are supposed to be good for...........I forgot now, but the started growing again.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(20-01-2021, 08:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have a couple of Gigantes bean plants that have regrown every spring for 3 or 4 years. I don't dig them up - same with all my beans. I've had some ?Firestorm that have come back for a couple of years too.
So they flower and produce beans each year Veggie?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Mamzie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
So gonna try keeping some runners over winter next year x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Bren

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-01-2021, 09:43 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(20-01-2021, 08:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have a couple of Gigantes bean plants that have regrown every spring for 3 or 4 years. I don't dig them up - same with all my beans. I've had some ?Firestorm that have come back for a couple of years too.
So they flower and produce beans each year Veggie?
Yes but probably not as prolific as the ones I'd start from seed because they don't regrow until the soil temperature has warmed up, which would be later than the ones I'd start in modules indoors.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I don't have any photos at the moment, but next year I'll be growing Cobra again, as they did really well on my tiny plot, producing as many beans as we cared to eat! Maybe some Lingua di Fuoco as well, as they look so pretty and we can always use borlotti beans in cooking.

Not very exciting varieties, but as a relative newbie with no space to waste, I like to stick to what I know will grow well here!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie