PP's Tomato Frame - as requested!
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
It is too hot to grow tomatoes indoors down here, with summer temperatures in the high thirties, but it can also be pretty wet, so the local way to keep the blight at bay is too grow them under a roof. More fancy structures also have sides that you can roll down when it rains, which probably would help.

The frame gets dismantled and packed away each winter - the wood was reclaimed form a fruit cage which we found we didn't need and the perspex sheets were donated by a friend who was replacing a roof. The plastic is very brittle now, so 2021 will probably be the year we'll have to replace it. It goes on a different bed each year.

This is the frame in place and just planted up in 2019.

The soil under the straw was lovely, but still very cold and an absolute haven for voles, so not an experiment I'll be repeating.

This photo is from 2016 in mid August and with fruit just starting to be ready to harvest. 

And the final one is from late November last year. Blight had finally infected all the plants so I was just about to take it down.

I should add that MrPP is an engineer so never happier than when designing, building and making things, and is pretty good at it, too!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 8 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(14-01-2021, 11:09 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: It is too hot to grow tomatoes indoors down here, with summer temperatures in the high thirties, but it can also be pretty wet, so the local way to keep the blight at bay is too grow them under a roof. More fancy structures also have sides that you can roll down when it rains, which probably would help.

The frame gets dismantled and packed away each winter - the wood was reclaimed form a fruit cage which we found we didn't need and the perspex sheets were donated by a friend who was replacing a roof. The plastic is very brittle now, so 2021 will probably be the year we'll have to replace it. It goes on a different bed each year.

The soil under the straw was lovely, but still very cold and an absolute haven for voles, so not an experiment I'll be repeating.

This photo is from 2016 in mid August and with fruit just starting to be ready to harvest. 

And the final one is from late November last year. Blight had finally infected all the plants so I was just about to take it down.

I should add that MrPP is an engineer so never happier than when designing, building and making things, and is pretty good at it, too!
Thanks for the pics PP.

What a lovely looking place, I can picture myself with a cold lager watching the world go bySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(14-01-2021, 11:29 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(14-01-2021, 11:09 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: It is too hot to grow tomatoes indoors down here, with summer temperatures in the high thirties, but it can also be pretty wet, so the local way to keep the blight at bay is too grow them under a roof. More fancy structures also have sides that you can roll down when it rains, which probably would help.

Thanks for the pics PP.

What a lovely looking place, I can picture myself with a cold lager watching the world go bySmile

Ha Ha - it's so quiet here you'd get through a lot of Oldarki between cars, and many of them would stop for a chat Smile

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet, Veggie

Bren Offline
PP It does look a lovely place to live.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Fabulous! I'd be join you Broadway - and I love it when people stop for a chat. Missing that at the moment.

Love the frame!
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Looks idyllic PP, need a lodger? Smile
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Once the borders re-open and the pandemic is behind us I would be more than happy to host a G&G working holiday  Big Grin (all participants must bring teabags and marmite)

[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s a brilliant tomato frame. Love it.
I like the work party ideas to, I’ll come help you, you come help me on the build  Big Grin . I’ll bring tea bags & marmite . You have to pick up a click & collect from the supermarket before you get on the ferry  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Very happy to do that SC. Smile
One of my mother's oldest friends used to live in Fionnphort and I remember stunning blue'green water, pure clean (sinking) sand and a blistering cold wind, in August. Loved it.

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie