Jobs to do in the garden this weekend
Broadway Offline
(10-01-2021, 02:04 PM)mcdood Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 11:33 AM)JJB Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 12:08 AM)Scarlet Wrote: ROSE PRUNING!

Don't leave it to late - these are best pruned January or February.

Established Shrub roses - cut down all stems to half the average height of the shrub. Don't worry about slanted cuts or cutting to a bud. Make sur all foliage is removed and cut stems disposed of - put in your green bin. 

Established Climbers. Cut all side shoots on each main stem to around 2 to 3 inches. Ensure all foliage is removed.  Tie in new stems. 

Easy.....it was my job today but it was so cold I've got 2 more climbers to do!

Thank you Scarlet. An excellent reminder, it has spurred me to get that done.  I believe it's time for pruning blueberries, currants and gooseberries,  am I right?  I chopped down some vigorous large flowered clematis too this last week.  I may have been a bit premature, I hope they survive the cold.
Regarding Blueberries the RHS advice is :-Prune any time over the dormant season (November to March), but ideally in late February or early March when the fruit buds can easily be distinguished from the leaf buds. 
So maybe leave it a bit later. I wish I could remember what I did to mine last Winter/Spring as I had an amazing crop last Summer.
Regards Blueberries I have 3 in pots that I'm planning transferring to the plot. Any advice re when to do this and if they are worth pruning, there's not much to them?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jobs to do in the garden this weekend - by Broadway - 10-01-2021, 02:12 PM