Harvesting from Asparagus crowns
Spec Offline
Anything that I have read about asparagus crowns tells you to wait till the second or third year after planting before harvesting your crop, but is this absolutely necessary, what would happen to my plants if I harvested my plants on the first year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They would take longer to get to a decent size to get a good crop off them, if they didn’t die. Even the first year you can harvest (year 3 after planting) you’re meant to limit the number you harvest.

https://www.asparagus-lover.com/harvesti...ragus.html
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I bought mine several years ago and only manage a couple of spears from the plants that have survived.
I won't buy any more - take up too much ground for little return.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Spec Offline
I did grow asparagus in the past and that's the reason I gave it up Veggie, but now I have the space not sure that I will have the timeRolleyes Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I grew from seed and it took three years to get anything and another three for the harvest to be enough for us to be eating it as a vegetable several times a week and giving it away during the season. I love it and am happy to wait and to dedicate space to it, but then I do have plenty of space. I pick for six weeks and not a day longer!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(09-01-2021, 05:21 PM)Spec Wrote: I did grow asparagus in the past and that's the reason I gave it up Veggie, but now I have the space not sure that I will have the timeRolleyes Big Grin
Try something quick - maybe that 6 week cropping broccoli thing. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Spec

Spec Offline
(09-01-2021, 05:35 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I love it and am happy to wait and to dedicate space to it, but then I do have plenty of space. I pick for six weeks and not a day longer!

PP its not the space, it's more the time that worries meBig Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
(09-01-2021, 05:35 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I grew from seed and it took three years to get anything and another three for the harvest to be enough for us to be eating it as a vegetable several times a week and giving it away during the season. I love it and am happy to wait and to dedicate space to it, but then I do have plenty of space. I pick for six weeks and not a day longer!
Nice to hear it PP

My seed sown last year is now hopefully in its permanent bed, hopefully I'm still here in 2 years to enjoy a small crop for starters!!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Spec

Greenfingers Offline
I grew mine from seed about seven or eight years ago. It was worth the wait.
[-] The following 3 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli

Spec Offline
I decided to buy some asparagus crowns which were delivered yesterday, was going to put them into pots but as the rain had started I thought I would wait to see how the weather was today, all the frost was away this morning so right or wrong decided to plant the crowns (I could lose them trying to keep till things warm up) the ground where I was planting them still had a crust of iced soil/seaweed over it so I scraped as much off it as I could with a fork then sliced a 1foot square and removed the top frozen cap, below that the soil was fine I then removed the soil to about 1ft deep scattered some lime and mixed it in to the base I then added some garden compost with some lime added, shaped this into a cone then sat the crown on top and spread the roots around it, using my hands to avoid any frosted soil near the roots, I covered the roots and filled the hole topping it off with the cap I had removed
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli