Lidded casserole recipes?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have three cast iron lidded casserole dishes in varying sizes , but never use them. I toyed with the idea of using the smaller one on top of the woodburner to make some chilli, but as there is only me who eats it, I haven't bothered. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah

Bren Offline
My iron Dutch oven gets used for everything baking sourdough bread, oven casseroles and hob bols/chilli not used it on a open fire though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:

doublyjonah Offline
(10-01-2021, 06:31 PM)Bren Wrote: My iron Dutch oven gets used for everything baking sourdough  bread, oven  casseroles and hob bols/chilli not used it on a open fire though.
I've used mine for chili straight away because my stock pot, the usual vessel, is thin and tries to burn everything to the bottom! Very interested in trying my sourdough in it. Our fan oven gets hotter than the regular oven, but makes the crust too hard by drying it out. Enter casserole... Perhaps Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
Here’s a sourdough loaf I baked today in my Dutch oven.  Baking this way does make a good crust. 

[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:

doublyjonah Offline
Mmmm, this house smells like red chicken. On the menu for tonight.

Next up (tomorrow hopefully), Scarlet's lamb shoulder. After next grocery shop, Can's lamb stew!

I need to get my head around baking my sourdough in here. We usually preheat the tray that we bake on and I'll burn my everything off trying to get my dough into the hot dish!
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man