Bee Friendly Flowers for Cutting
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its a perennial here and an eager self-seeder, spreading itself around the garden - though this may be helped by the goldfinches that flock to the seed heads in winter.
Are you too tidy, perhaps, and cutting off the flower stalks when they look straggly?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-01-2021, 11:16 AM)Spec Wrote: Qurious to know if everyone can grow Verbena bonariensis as perennials I have to grow them as annuals they never last from one year to the next here and its not just me as my neighbour who also gardens has the same problem
I’m going to be growing them for the first time this year. It’ll be interesting to see what happens up the road a bit from you  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Spec Offline
(09-01-2021, 11:29 AM)Veggie Wrote: Are you too tidy, perhaps, and cutting off the flower stalks when they look straggly?

(09-01-2021, 11:32 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’m going to be growing them for the first time this year. It’ll be interesting to see what happens up the road a bit from you  Big Grin .
Well Veggie if I dared let my OH onto this forum she would die laughing at the thought of someone thinking I could be tidy never mind too tidyRolleyes
Sc I think you should be OK growing them on Mull it's possible that the main cause of them not lasting the winter here is caused by amount of rain we get along with the cold, the growing conditions on Mull are completely different from here as was evident from the photos of the fuchsia recently
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-01-2021, 04:15 PM)Spec Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 11:29 AM)Veggie Wrote: Are you too tidy, perhaps, and cutting off the flower stalks when they look straggly?

(09-01-2021, 11:32 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’m going to be growing them for the first time this year. It’ll be interesting to see what happens up the road a bit from you  Big Grin .
Well Veggie if I dared let my OH onto this forum she would die laughing at the thought of someone thinking I could be tidy never mind too tidyRolleyes
Sc I think you should be OK growing them on Mull it's possible that the main cause of them not lasting the winter here is caused by amount of rain we get along with the cold, the growing conditions on Mull are completely different from here as was evident from the photos of the fuchsia recently
How much rain do you get then? We average over 100 inches a year.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Spec Offline
Ours is much the same, but evedently a bit colder in winter, but it's worthwhile trying the vebina bonariensis as it's a lovely flower to grow
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-01-2021, 04:03 PM)Veggie Wrote: At the back of the Chiltern Seeds Catalogue is a 2 page list of Pollinator Friendly Flowers that are also useful as cut flowers  - 85 of them to be precise.
Now there's a Challenge.Wink

You can order the catalogue at https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/catrequest.php

I'll list some of the species names (as Chiltern have) - any variety within that species is suitable. 
Wonder how many you already grow?
I have t got that far into the catalogue! 
It's a lovely read.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Read the book from the back - that way you'll know it wasn't the butler wot did it!

BTW, anyone in the seed swap will receive a number of these seeds to start you off.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, it's too cold to garden. So I thought I'd go to tha back of the book! I think those two pages were stuck.

Anyway....
callistephus chinensis - annual aster/

I bought seed for the duchess series as they are beautiful.I grew some asters in a pot a couple of years ago but I'm not so great on watering. They were lovely but not quite as beautiful as this variety. I'm going to grow the coral rose. They look almost like a chrysanthemum.
Really looking forward to sowing these.

I am really struggling on holding back sowing seeds this year - must be the boredom of staying at home?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Verbena B - I can't grow as a perennial either here. I have very wet ground in winter and I can get late frosts - so I think they rot?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2021, 04:41 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Well, it's too cold to garden. So I thought I'd go to tha back of the book! I think those two pages were stuck.

Anyway....
callistephus chinensis - annual aster/

I bought seed for the duchess series as they are beautiful.I grew some asters in a pot a couple of years ago but I'm not so great on watering. They were lovely but not quite as beautiful as this variety. I'm going to grow the coral rose. They look almost like a chrysanthemum.
Really looking forward to sowing these.

I am really struggling on holding back sowing seeds this year - must be the boredom of staying at home?
Never hold back - give in to your urges - you'll feel so much better for it. Smile