Houseplants
SarrissUK Offline
I've had something similar Mark and I wasn't very successful with it. New stems came, but no flowers... and the old stems died off, so I removed them. It got boring waiting for flowers, so I made sure it died lol
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Moth, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
It's a dendrobium, Mark. I cut off the old stems that have flowered when new shoots begin to grow from the bottom. I've never repotted mine in the four years I've had them, but I do feed them with baby bio once a week through the summer and every other week through the winter, and they flower every year. You can pot up plantlets, they seem to take very easily.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Here are some I prepared earlier https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...ight=keiki
I've just potted up 3 of the keiki with the aerial roots. They've all been out in the GH over winter. Never fed them but maybe I should. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(07-02-2022, 09:51 PM)Moth Wrote: It's a dendrobium, Mark. I cut off the old stems that have flowered when new shoots begin to grow from the bottom. I've never repotted mine in the four years I've had them, but I do feed them with baby bio once a week through the summer and every other week through the winter, and they flower every year. You can pot up plantlets, they seem to take very easily.

Thanks for your advice. The pot doesn't seem too big for it yet but it needs longer sticks. I do feed it with baby bio also but very haphazardly, the same with watering. I'll wait till the little ones have flowered before cutting them off. I don't particularly want any more but the local gardening club generally has a plant stall that they would come in handy for around September time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(07-02-2022, 09:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: Here are some I prepared earlier  https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...ight=keiki
I've just potted up 3 of the keiki with the aerial roots. They've all been out in the GH over winter. Never fed them but maybe I should. Smile

I thought this orchid had white flowers like yours but they do look to be yellow. It's the first time it has flowered while I've had it (about 10 years) and is a keiki from the original that I killed off. Might be  keiki of a keiki. I don't suppose  a keiki can be a different colour to  the original? I'm  bit  old to start learning new words - that's why I've used it a few times to familiarise myself.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I am jealous I have never had keikis. My dendrobium was a reduced plant from b and go queue about 10-11 years ago. It flowers most years but it gets a run under the tap once in a while, but I have never actually fed it in all that time, I am bit scared to now incase it goes into shock.

Most of my houseplants are tough as old boots, most have been on the brink of death so get a water plunge then spring back to life. Can you feel the love here??? So they consist of spider plants, money plant, aloe, air plants, rosary vine (a recent-ish treat to myself so is not overly neglected) and an orchid I picked up cheap in the first lockdown but it has done ever so well.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Of the 3 yellow-stickered dendrobiums, only one has had keikis (I like that word - makes me think of eatingWink)
My houseplant collection is even less than yours, NG. Several Aloes, Christmas/Easter/Thankgiving cactus (not sure which but there are 2 out of the 3), a couple of cymbidium orchids and some amaryllis bulbs I rescued. Also a few scented geraniums that will go out again in spring.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Houseplants seem ever so expensive nowadays for what they are so I tend to go without, a bit like courgettes. I like houseplants and my Nanny had lots of the old classics mother in laws tongue, rubber plants, peanut cactus, string of pearls, rubber plant although most of her pots would have random cuttings and lemon tree seedlings in.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've a peace lily that I'm in the process of killing, I've had it years, neglected it, fed it etc and it has just upped and wilted. It could do with repotting, maybe I'll try that, it's pot is very small poor thing.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My wife used to love growing orchids on the windowsills. Out of deference to her I have managed to keep one alive and it seems to be thriving. Cool Just need to find out the flower colour now but from memory they were all various shades of pink or white and she had one yellow one. I wonder which this is? Huh 

My main house plants are trays of leeks and chrysanthemum cuttings! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina, Veggie