Growing Pea and Fava Bean shoots
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(10-01-2021, 03:59 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 03:50 PM)Moth Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 04:02 PM)Small chilli Wrote: That’s brilliant, I had no idea you could do shoots thing with beans.
I’ve done sprouting chickpeas not tried them as shoots...

I thought you shouldn't eat raw chickpeas. does sprouting them make a difference?

I knew I’d read it somewhere and hadn’t just given it a go . I found this.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-spr...as-2254129

Thanks, SC.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My chick peas are up. They funny looking things. Don’t really know what I was expecting. I’ll be trying some with tonight’s salad.

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
^^^They look a bit hairy for a salad, rather you than me.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Chickpeas aren't hairy - they're feathery!!

I saw a post on a Woodland FB page yesterday.......... a healthfood shop had some split bags of lentils and chickpeas so had given them to the woodland owner to scatter for wildlife to eat. They'd germinated and were growing amongst the fallen leaves. They must be hardier than we think!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well my chickpea shoots were definitely not hairy. And unsurprisingly tasted like chickpeas. Which was quite a different flavour to appear in a salad every now and again. I think I’ll be growing them again for shoots.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news but my peas and beans went mouldy!! Probably were soaked for too long/sown too thickly/left in a cold GH when they needed somewhere warmer.
I'm so embarrassed. Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I got a bit carried away sowing my crimson-flowered broad beans this year - I got it into my head that my rootrainers were 4 x 7, same as some of my module trays, when in fact they're 4 x 8. No matter; if they all germinate and grow well, I'll know what to do with the surplus! (Although I might just plant a few in the front garden, since they're so pretty.)
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Crimson flowered BBs are worth growing just for the flowers. Actually, all the BBs have beautiful flowers - there are some black and white ones in flower here now (Aquadulce Claudia, I think). Always make me think of Audrey Hepburn, don't ask me why!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(07-03-2021, 08:03 PM)Veggie Wrote: Crimson flowered BBs are worth growing just for the flowers. Actually, all the BBs have beautiful flowers - there are some black and white ones in flower here now (Aquadulce Claudia, I think). Always make me think of Audrey Hepburn, don't ask me why!!

Because they're elegant and sophisticated and yet rather cute?

I believe runner beans were originally grown for their flowers, before people realised the pods were nice to eat. Personally I much prefer CFBs, so I never bother with runners - Cobra has pretty little lilac-coloured flowers, as well as being a heavy cropper, so it's definitely one variety I'm going to stick with!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile