Caterpillars
Bren Offline
Odd how they've left the other Honesty plants alone, I've checked mine every day and no sign of caterpillars.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Was it too far to crawl, To the next plant or did the birds pick them off once they became more visible?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

This year the pesky caterpillars are feasting on white comfrey although there are also some on the Wild arum which is not a brassica. 
I'm so soft that I can't bring myself to kill them. I did snip one in half and kept apologising to the remains.  Cry
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
The only butterflies I've seen so far this year are 4 brimstones fighting each other for territory and a solitary holly blue.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I overcame my squeamishness today and chopped as many caterpillars as I could see. At the slightest touch of a leaf, they curl up and fall to the ground which didn't make my task easy. I've also dug up as many host plants as I could and binned them in case there are more lurking caterpillars.

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Spotted an Orange Tip butterfly on some Honesty today - which is how this thread began !!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-04-2024, 04:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: I overcame my squeamishness today and chopped as many caterpillars as I could see. At the slightest touch of a leaf, they curl up and fall to the ground which didn't make my task easy. I've also dug up as many host plants as I could and binned them in case there are more lurking caterpillars.
Don’t squash any more. They are your scarlet emperor moth offspring. Butterfly conservation just done a fb post on them
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

I've just caught 3 caterpillars for a closer look. They do look like the Scarlet Tiger Moth caterpillars https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/scarlet-tiger so I may have to apologise to those that have been squished. 
Large White butterfly caterpillar does look similar, your honour! https://butterfly-conservation.org/butte...arge-white
Thinking about it, all the host plants have been near the shed where I see the Moths every year.  I feel really bad now.  Cry

Moth photos https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...156&page=2
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Good news! There are still plenty of caterpillars and I rescued 3 from the garden waste bin where they'd been dumped!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just had a little stroll down to the "caterpillar" patch and there are still lots of them, annihilating the comfrey. Big Grin