Looking for fuchsia
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(05-01-2021, 08:29 PM)Spec Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 07:53 PM)Vinny Wrote: Funnily, one of my neighbours has a variegated hardy fuchsia which is in flower even now. Cool I asked if I could take a few cuttings,and tried to root them on the kitchen windowsill without success. I don't know whether its the time of year, lack of heat or light, but in the past I have found fuchsias quite easy to root?How do i get cuttings to grow at this time of year? Huh

Vinny I would try a little bit of bottom heat at this time of year
I'm not sticking a fuchsia  cutting up my backside for any-one! (eek!) Cry Sick Rolleyes 

Yep, it looks like I may have to dig my propagator out of the attic. Of course, I could just splash out and buy a plant that I like. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Remember that Carry On film with Matron Hattie Jaques and some one ?Kenneth Williams lying in bed having his temperature taken - with a daffodil? Smile

Found it!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfKE7I-UtlA
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Vinny

Spec Offline
(05-01-2021, 07:14 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I can send you some cuttings from a variegated fuchsia & a miniature fuchsia. Just the flowers & leaves are miniature, the actual plants can get to a good size. Bees love it.
Thank you Sc I will pm you
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Small chilli

Spec Offline
As a matter of interest Sc are your fuchsias in leaf at present, as in the past I have found both geraniums and fuchsias growing near the sea stay in leaf due to the warmer air coming off the sea, but I am aware that islands have pockets of differing weather conditions
  • Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Fuchsias grow so easily from cuttings. It's often as cheap to buy one plant of each variety you want, then make a dozen or so cuttings from each of them yourself.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Spec

Spec Offline
Yas Moth that's why I am looking for mixed varities, the garden centers usually have a selection of individual plug plants which let's you buy a mixed selection rather than a tray of the same variety
  • Moth

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Taken today
Miniature

Variegated 

This variegated one is one of the cuttings I took last year.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

Spec Offline
    Taken today, this is one called Hawkshead which is a small hardy fuchia, what a difference from what you have Sc
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just looked up hawkshead. I acquired cuttings from that last years as well. I didn’t know it name. So thank you. Also acquired a big blousey looking one, but that’s just a stick at the moment. I’d like a black one. I’m not sure if they’re just annual or perennial. I’ve never seen any in gardens up here.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Spec Offline
There is a fuchsia called Blacky which if I remember correctly is a trailing fuchsia and all fuchsia are perennial, they are designated as half hardy and hardy and many of them will survive the winter outside in Mull when I see the photographs that you have posted, in a place with weather condition like yours I would try any of the single flowered varieties outside and there are several of the doubles which would survive also, once I can get out and about I will get a Blacky for you
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie