Tomato Growing list 2021
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've succumbed to you lot's bad influence again! I've been going over my plan for the coming year, since it's way too cold to do anything outdoors, and decided that, while I do love cherry tomatoes, I really ought to grow some bigger ones as well, for preserving etc.

So, I popped onto the Seeds of Italy site and bought a packet each of San Marzano 2, Principe Borghese (thanks @PyreneesPlot for the recommendation!) and Costoluto di Parma. I only have space for one of each, but hopefully that will give me a few jars of pasta sauce and some dehydrated sliced toms for the winter. The Neapolitan San Marzano 2 is an endangered heritage variety, very meaty with thin skin and few seeds, but there's loads in a packet so I have time to practice some seed-saving before they run out!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 8 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
For those of you who like sun-dried tomatoes and have a sunny place to park the car, you may not need a dehydrator or to run a low oven every time Smile

A batch of Prince Borghese in the dehydrator!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 9 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(09-02-2021, 01:45 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: For those of you who like sun-dried tomatoes and have a sunny place to park the car, you may not need a dehydrator or to run a low oven every time Smile

A batch of Prince Borghese in the dehydrator!

Maybe I'll suggest this to my husband! Though actually, it's given me a better idea - our south-facing conservatory might be a much better spot, provided the weather cooperates!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm hoping to acquire some seeds of Eva's Purple Ball Tomato from a local Community Veg farm next week - so they'll be on my grow list.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Just googled Eva. Looks like a nice tom. Not very purple from pictures I saw. But then Black Russian isn’t very black  Rolleyes  Wink . Look forward to you review on it. I need a good standard size Tom in my collection. Mine are all cherry or big beef stake type.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Already looking forward to next year's seed swap.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Eyren, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(12-02-2021, 03:39 PM)JJB Wrote: Already looking forward to next year's seed swap.

Me too! I bought 3 packets of seeds from Franchi, and they have so many in, I could start a tomato farm! Will definitely be up for swapping some!
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(11-02-2021, 10:57 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Just googled Eva. Looks like a nice tom. Not very purple from pictures I saw. But then Black Russian isn’t very black  Rolleyes  Wink . Look forward to you review on it. I need a good standard size Tom in my collection. Mine are all cherry or big beef stake type.
Stupice is a medium size tomato - seeds were in the swap.
I grew it last year and will probably grow a couple of plants again this year. Its only drawback is that its potato leafed and may cross with other tomatoes, if you want to save seeds from it. I dedicated a GH to Stupice to stop it crossing.

Photos at https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...77#pid6277
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I’ve tried stupice before. I think from you in previous swaps. It didn’t do well for me. Don’t know if it didn’t like being up north or if it didn’t like my incompetence at growing toms.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Not from me, SC. last year was my first time growing it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli