2021 What I sowed today
Spec Offline
Can what Scarlet means by tupperware is put it into a plastic pot, tupperware is what your mother, and mine, would use. Some folk are older than I thought Confused Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • mcdood, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Oi! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood, Spec

mcdood Offline
(28-02-2021, 07:22 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 05:57 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 04:58 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 01:02 PM)Vinny Wrote: Today I plan to sow:-

Calabrese Parthenon F1

All will be sown in modules, maybe kept indoors until they germinate then put on staging in cold greenhouse. Smile

How do you get on with calabrese, Vinny? I've tried parthenon a few times but it just produced piddly little heads that flowered!
That's not what I wanted to hear PP! (eek)
I normally just grow whatever calabrese I can get a hold of cheaply. It was fine last year but the second harvest after cutting the main head was better.
I am growing Parthenon because I recently bought a head from Aldi and both myself and OH agreed it was the tastiest we had ever had.
I looked for it and ordered the F1 seeds to give it a try. Only 25 seeds so it better be good. Big Grin

PS Last year I dibbled holes in firm soil at 2 foot spacing, filled with compost and sowed direct. I did the same with curly kale and both did good.
I wonder whether its the transplanting that would send it to seed........I hope not.

I've always transplanted so that may have been the problem Sad  I look forward to hearing your results!
I always transplant and they crop fine so I dont think that's the problem. I've not grown Parthenon though. Not sure of your climate PP but maybe plants getting too dry or not firm enough soil?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Pulled out the failed softneck garlic yesterday (Cristo & Germidour) - some of them had gone a bit mouldy in the shed while waiting to plant them, because it was so wet last autumn, but I wasn't expecting the whole crop to fail! Luckily I was influenced by you lot into buying some hardneck garlic (Carcassonne) from The Garlic Farm, so hopefully I'll have a respectable crop from that.

Where I'd taken out the garlic I sowed a row each of turnips and radish, covered with a strip of 30g fleece to keep in the warmth and moisture until they get going. Also sowed some beetroot (Bolthardy), calendula and sweet alyssum in modules, to start off indoors.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(01-03-2021, 07:37 AM)mcdood Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 07:22 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 05:57 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 04:58 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(28-02-2021, 01:02 PM)Vinny Wrote: Today I plan to sow:-

Calabrese Parthenon F1

All will be sown in modules, maybe kept indoors until they germinate then put on staging in cold greenhouse. Smile

How do you get on with calabrese, Vinny? I've tried parthenon a few times but it just produced piddly little heads that flowered!
That's not what I wanted to hear PP! (eek)
I normally just grow whatever calabrese I can get a hold of cheaply. It was fine last year but the second harvest after cutting the main head was better.
I am growing Parthenon because I recently bought a head from Aldi and both myself and OH agreed it was the tastiest we had ever had.
I looked for it and ordered the F1 seeds to give it a try. Only 25 seeds so it better be good. Big Grin

PS Last year I dibbled holes in firm soil at 2 foot spacing, filled with compost and sowed direct. I did the same with curly kale and both did good.
I wonder whether its the transplanting that would send it to seed........I hope not.

I've always transplanted so that may have been the problem Sad  I look forward to hearing your results!
I always transplant and they crop fine so I dont think that's the problem. I've not grown Parthenon though. Not sure of your climate PP but maybe plants getting too dry or not firm enough soil?

Quite possibly not firm enough mcdood - raised almost no-dig beds riddled with mole and vole runs means there is always a certain amount of movement. We rarely get more than a handful of Brussels either. I must remember to firm them in better - thanks Smile
Interestingly the cabbages have been very good this year in a bed that I consider poor: quite shallow with solid clay underneath, so I'm geussing they've got their feet down into that and are pretty stable?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • mcdood

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sowed today and yesterday

Zebrune
Broadbeans saved masterpiece
Peas bijou and some very old seed of sugar bon
Beetroot - touchstone gold, paonazza summat (freebie seed), solo in modules ready for when P finishes digging over the patches
Chard Fordhook giant ditto

Lobelia
Salvia
Busy lizzies
Begonia semperflorens
Phlox
Dwarf asters
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, mcdood, PyreneesPlot

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lots of seed sowing.

Sweet basil
Purple sprouting broccoli
Swede
Cabbage golden acre
Leek Lyon2
Kale Nero di Toscana
Celery giant red
Brussels sprouts Montgomery
Broccoli marthon
Swiss chard fordhook giant
Lupins
Rudbeckia (2 varieties)not holding my breath sow by 2014.
River birch
French lavender
Macedonian scabious
Phlomis
Aquilegia clementine red
Aubrietia
Allium
White hellebore
Echinacea
Cedronella
Perennial cornflower
Chilean glory vine
Dahlia honka
Meadow mix.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • mcdood, PyreneesPlot

toomanytommytoes Offline
If your Macedonian scabious doesn't germinate, try putting the seeds in the fridge.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli

Bren Offline
Sweet peas,
Nasturtiums
Gardeners Delight.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Beetroot cylindra
Radicchio palla rossa