2021 What I sowed today
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(10-03-2021, 02:59 PM)Broadway Wrote: Stupid question time, can you remove a seeding to soon from the heated propagator? I removed them the minute they broke the surface.

I guess it depends on what the ambient temperature is outside - too cold compared to the propagator and they're going to get a nasty shock! I prefer to wait until they have their true leaves and are ready to prick out.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • mcdood, Spec

Broadway Offline
(10-03-2021, 03:03 PM)Eyren Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 02:59 PM)Broadway Wrote: Stupid question time, can you remove a seeding to soon from the heated propagator? I removed them the minute they broke the surface.

I guess it depends on what the ambient temperature is outside - too cold compared to the propagator and they're going to get a nasty shock! I prefer to wait until they have their true leaves and are ready to prick out.
Hi Eyren

Yes fair point, problem is my heated prop is away from the lightSad

Plan Z SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Eyren, mcdood, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(10-03-2021, 03:05 PM)Broadway Wrote: Yes fair point, problem is my heated prop is away from the lightSad

This is why I forked out for one with lights - plus the days are too short and gloomy anyway this time of year. I've even seen a neighbouring tray of beetroot seedlings leaning towards the propagator because of the lights Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Spec

Broadway Offline
(10-03-2021, 03:12 PM)Eyren Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 03:05 PM)Broadway Wrote: Yes fair point, problem is my heated prop is away from the lightSad

This is why I forked out for one with lights - plus the days are too short and gloomy anyway this time of year. I've even seen a neighbouring tray of beetroot seedlings leaning towards the propagator because of the lights Smile
Yup I have the lights but in another location away from the prop, this is where I moved the seedlings but they seem very poorly!

Oh well, you live and learnSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Eyren, Spec

Spec Offline
(10-03-2021, 02:59 PM)Broadway Wrote: [quote='Broadway' pid='18852' dateline='1614517710']Stupid question time, can you remove a seeding to soon from the heated propagator? I removed them the minute they broke the surface.
Last year I left my seedlings till the had their first true leaf, but they are always a bit leggy, OK for some like tomatoes, so this year I have decided to remove them from the propagator after 3 days I have an electric heater on, set for min. 6°c and of course once at that temperature the heat unit goes off but the fan keeps running which helps keep the temperature up, I also cover all the plants with fleece at night which also keeps them that wee bit warmer the plants are a bit slower putting on growth but not a big problem for me as I can't get planting out as early as possibly yourself
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren

mcdood Offline
What's the temp where you've moved them to Danny? I move tender stuff out of the prop as they germinate but still keep them in the house so they'll still be around 19 degs during the day and probably no less than 16/17 overnight.

Broadway Offline
(10-03-2021, 07:36 PM)mcdood Wrote: What's the temp where you've moved them to Danny?  I move tender stuff out of the prop as they germinate but still keep them in the house so they'll still be around 19 degs during the day and probably no less than 16/17 overnight.
Couldn't tell you the temp but they were in the house under growlights

mcdood Offline
Should be Ok then, do you have pics?

mcdood Offline
Sowed:
Ipomea Grandpa otis - A climber for my allotment shed
Acquilegia Mckana giant

Cauliflower clapton
Beetroot Solist
Turnip - purple top milan
Radish French Breakfast 3
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
Ok apologies if any of the details below are incorrect. So basically I'm going to have a go growing at least one of each tomato sent to me as part of the seed swap/give away thread thingy. So I have sowed at least 2/3 seeds of each tomato on the list below! The last two were not part of the swap/give away they were kindly sent to me by MamzieSmile

Given my ongoing germination issues what could possibly go wrong?SmileSmile

[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Scarlet