Two or more veg in one space!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I feel another experiment coming on!

There are a couple of techniques to make the most of a small growing space:-
Intercropping - growing a row of fast growing veg between a row of slower veg - so you can harvest the fast ones whilst the  slow ones are still growing
Interplanting - much the same except the fast veg are planted between the slow ones in the row.

If you're crafty, you can do both and get 3 veg from the same space. Something like a row of parsnips (slow) with radish , marking the row and lettuce between the rows.

I remembered all this when I was sowing some carrots in a planter today - how can I grow more in this pot? Maybe there's more to consider than whether its a fast or a slow grower - its the way that they grow and the space they occupy. What if you grew a root crop, a shoot and a leafy crop. Say carrots, spring onions and lettuce together. The carrots need the root space but have airy leaves, spring onions are just straight up and down and lettuces can be as small or leafy as you choose. 

So that's my plan, 3 veg in one pot - 2 quick ones and one slower one. 

Combination suggestions welcome. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
How did I miss this! I like the idea. I won’t be joining in, sorry. Would love photos & progress reports.

What about peas, beetroot and cut & come again salad leaves
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
All plants need light, that is what they grow leaves for after all, feeding the starving millions is a bonus.
So whatever you grow together should not block the light for the others - for too long. Onions and to a lesser extent carrots are adversely affected if left smothered with weeds for any length so your lettuce would need to come out (or leaves picked) if too bushy and the onions would need to be far enough from the carrots that they were in good light till needed.
The main ones I plant together are sweetcorn (and now quinoa) and squash/pumpkins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Veggie, from what I've seen of your garden you aren't stuck for space so why try to utilise techniques more suitable for a tiny plot? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I trying it in pots in the GH - I don't want to try this outdoors. You can't get a smaller "tiny plot" than a pot.!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-12-2020, 10:36 AM)Veggie Wrote: I trying it in pots in the GH - I don't want to try this outdoors. You can't get  a smaller "tiny plot" than a pot.!!
That's what happens when I speed read summat! Blush Carry on.....as you were. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'll just ignore you....................as usual. Tongue