2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
RealSeeds are the best! Here's a direct link to their SeedSaving advice. https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

DaiWig Offline
(22-12-2020, 12:12 PM)Veggie Wrote: RealSeeds are the best! Here's a direct link to their SeedSaving advice. https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

Cheers Veggie
Much appreciated. I can feel a new way of gardening coming on!
Cheers
DaiWig
Life is like a box of chocolates and so is a Polytunnel!
[-] The following 2 users Like DaiWig's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

DaiWig Offline
(21-12-2020, 07:56 PM)JJB Wrote:
(21-12-2020, 07:10 PM)Veggie Wrote: That looks interesting, Dai. https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...e-stripes/

But unfortunately out of stock ATM,  but if we convince DaiWig to join the seed swap next year I can see some interesting varieties appearing.  Are you listening  Dai?

Of course Jen. Its a skill that women learn! Im in for seed swap next year, it will probably be heritage varieties of Toms and maybe cantaloupe melon too Tongue
Cheers
DaiWig
Life is like a box of chocolates and so is a Polytunnel!
[-] The following 3 users Like DaiWig's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
(22-12-2020, 02:10 PM)DaiWig Wrote:
(21-12-2020, 07:56 PM)JJB Wrote:
(21-12-2020, 07:10 PM)Veggie Wrote: That looks interesting, Dai. https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...e-stripes/
Are you listening  Dai?

Of course Jen. Its a skill that women learn! CheersDaiWig
And of course, a skill that men are born withBig Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Muckly Offline
Yes, would love to join in, not sure what with yet though.
[-] The following 4 users Like Muckly's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've started!!!
Sown today, 3 seeds of each, hoping to get one plant of each to grow on. Sow by dates in (brackets)

Bajaja (2019)
Minibel (2020)
Rambling Red Stripe  (saved in 2014)
Red Robin (2014)
Sweet 'n Neat F1 (2014)
Three Cheeses High (from a swap in 2019)
Tiny Tim (from Scarlet, 2018)
Totem F1 (2013)
Vilma (2016)

I need to save seeds of some of these for next year, as they're almost finished. Not buying any more F1s.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, DaiWig, JJB, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Veggie I can't figure how you can sow so early and stop them getting leggy due to low light plus keep them frost free. I usually sow 2nd or 3rd wk of Feb and still find that they get far too big spindly. I fear they would get frosted in my cold gh if they went outside. You'll have to let us know when you pot on and put in gh also what the temps are at the time in sunshiny south Wales. So we can be jealous. Hope you'll put some of those in a swap next year I fancy nearly all of them.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I sowed similar time last year JJB. I have am lucky enough to have deep windows so put greenhouse staging on it. I bury the seedlings each time and rotate regularly, hth x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
^^^ I'm going to give it a try and experiment Mamzie, I managed to hack some frozen compost out of the bag and it thawed overnight in the kitchen. Maybe it'll be sowing day today on a small scale. Already had the comment 'oh oh its started already' when OH saw the seed pots on the kitchen windowsill. Of course I ignored him completelyBig Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • DaiWig, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
JJB, they're all varieties that are suitable for windowsills or hanging baskets - they're small bush or trailing ones. I've grown them all before, some are regulars every year.
I sow them now in a heated propagator, they'll come off heat when germinated and be pricked out when large enough. They stay in the house until there's no risk of frost overnight although I may take some out into the GH in the day and bring them in at night.
There's no magic involved - just an acceptance that you'll have plants in the house until spring. In my case, they're in the bedroom (propagator and seedlings) or kitchen (plants that travel between GH and house daily).
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • DaiWig, Mamzie, Scarlet