Digging fork recomendations please
Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Please could you lovely peeps recommend a decent digging fork, mine has just given up the ghost and my Father Christmas is being all humbuggy and says I have to get it myself.

Thank you as always
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 2 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not going to be much help here, sorry.
Do you want a border fork or a full sized one?

My "Go to" garden fork is a heavy duty Cougar, probably from some DIY place rather than a garden centre. I bought them (a spade and fork) to leave at the allotment, maybe 20 years ago, whilst my bright shiny stainless steel forks nestled in the comfort of the garden shed.
Over the years, the wooden shafted ones have snapped, the tines on some of the cheaper ones have broken but Cougar has stood up to levering out tree roots, lifting paving slabs and all the heavy duty stuff I wanted to do. It has a metal shaft and, despite being left out in the rain many times, has never rusted.
I only use forks for levering stuff out and the spade is just for digging holes for planting - but I do a lot of levering out.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ll have a look what mine is, when it stops raining. It’s not too big or heavy. It is given a fair amount of stick at times and it still going strong after 6 or 7 years. Which is good because Bob said it wouldn’t last.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Spec Offline
I use a wooden shafted stainless steel boarder fork for loosening the soil I also have a larger wooden shafted garden fork which I used when I did heavy digging, found a fork better than a spade, I also bought a long wooden shafted stainless steel fork out of lidels but the metal is to soft and some tines bent when trying to lever out boulders but still in use when required to lever up heavy objects the long shaft makes the work that bit easier
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After finally remembering to have a look at my fork. The label has worn away. So I still don’t know what make it is. I’m leaning toward spear & Jackson at a guess.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The oldest one I could find at a car boot sale would probably be the best and the cheapest! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I am a fan of Kent & Stowe
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The best fork and spade I have, I pinched off my wife's uncle as he didn't need them when he died. They are well worn but still solid. The fork is quite dangerous as the tines are very pointed now.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie, Vinny

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I am a fan of old tools my first fork was my FiL's and that is now an ornament in the veg patch and the one that has recently died I gained when I moved here 8 years ago, so not bad for 20ish years of gardening. I have gone for a kent and stowe as there are complaints of the item itself, however there are quite a few comments that show they do honour their 10 year guarantee - so fingers crossed. Thank you for all your responses  Smile
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 6 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have had my digging fork replaced 2 times over the last 10 years, no questions asked
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec