Year round sowing of Broad Beans
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My Broad Bean "collection" was split into Autumn sowing and Spring sowing varieties but, sorting them last night, I realised that they can be sown every month of the year - if you choose the right variety.

The most versatile are
 Aquadulce  Oct-March
Bunyards Exhibition Oct - May
Luz de Otono Oct - Dec, March - August
Wizard Field bean Feb - Apr, Sept - Oct.

Those 4 cover every month of the year!.............we won't talk about the other 11 varieties I have. Blush

I know that BBs may not be everyone's favourites but I like growing them for their flowers and eating the young bean pods (before the beans form). My current idea is to sow BBs every month, not too many, 10-12, and dot them around the garden for "foraging" through the year. 

BBs for sowing in December are Aquadulce, Bunyard's Exhibition, Luz de Otono and Sutton.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I love BBs, but like pretty much everything else apart from salad leaves, onions and spuds I really don't want to eat them all year round.
I love looking forward to The First of whatever as the seasons change. Its one reason why we only have a fridge freezer with 3 drawers !!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Although they can be sown every month throughout the year, they wouldn't mature at the same neat intervals!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Like so many of my "ideas" I ran out of steam after a couple of months and forgot about my plan to sow BBs every month!
I did have a good crop of Aquadulce and there were some random BBs planted in the garden - that I found months later.Wink
I'm going to sow some BBs tomorrow - there, I've said it, now I have to do it.
Anyone else sowing overwintering BBs?

Jimny14 Offline
Hopefully, will try to get em in the ground on my weedy bean trench soon. (Trying something myself, I've dug a 1 spit depth trench which I have thrown in some hoed off weeds and other pruning which I intend to cover and plant up. Going to see if it makes a noticeable difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I intend sowing some broadies but having seen the battering they get on my plot over winter, I thought about sowing them in pots and leaving them in the greenhouse until spring? Only about 25% survived the winter last time, more because they succumbed to the wind rather than the cold. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie