Lilac
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, my kitchen extension has started but I have a huge lilac that has suckered. This is coming down. We've chopped all the stems to ground but I would love to save a few plants. 

I've a lot of work to do at the moment t so I'm wondering if it's worth digging up a few clumps? Or trying root cuttings? Lots on so I don't want to waste my time trying to do it if they are difficult to take. 

I would like to put a few in at the wild area at the back. I love these for cut flowers but it is a thug for suckers and is covering about a 6ft square area.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Take some of the suckers with roots and plant them, though if it's very cold in your area I would put some into pots and place them somewhere a bit warmer, just as a backup
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Try this site https://www.flowerpatchfarmhouse.com/pro...s-suckers/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you both. I've dug up some - a few are in buckets soaking - run out of time - and some are potted up in the GH. Will put some in the ground tomorrow.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I love the smell of lilac, it reminds me of when my dad was a rent collector and I was about 8 years old so 52 years ago. My dad often got a present of lilac cut flowers from some of his council tenants. Brought them home and there were vases of these flowers all around the house
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love it too! Though it is supposed to be unlucky to bring it in to the house.
I do though I love it. The smell is amazing.
I'm hoping my chopped up bits take - I'm amazed how much sucker roots there were.

I've nearly finished my "yard" clear up Big Grin
My roses came last week too so I've had to get those in the ground and I'm still putting my alliums bulbs in.

I have great ideas but I never have enough time - and I honestly think that flu jab has made my legs ache!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
I used to have a white lilac it had a lovely smell but it had to go when I wanted the space for veg beds. Someone from freecycle came for it along with the other shrubs/plants so i didn't feel to bad.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a dwarf lilac....................lives up to its name - small leaves, tiny flowers.............bit pathetic really!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga