Autumn sowing of Beans and Peas
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(18-11-2020, 11:11 AM)Veggie Wrote: I'll "probably" start them in modules somewhere safe from the meeces as they hang about in the GHs looking for peas. I may bung a few old seeds in direct as I'm not sure how viable they are now.
How many??? You expect me to know? A circle of them - don't ask me the diameter of the circle!!

HaHa, V, you really are an anathema to those of us who like structure and planning!  Although it's good to know it's not just one or two pea seeds and more  of a cluster.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wish you'd make up your mind about me, JJB. Yesterday I was an Influencer, today I'm Anathema - which doesn't sound very pleasant at all. Tongue
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Both are absolutely wonderful things to be - they're soft, cuddly, amusing, talented, knowledgeable, tolerant.....OK I'll shut up now Smile
PS I think I made my mind up about you ages ago Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just for you, JJB, I thought I would count the number of Bijou peas I put into each pot and space them evenly......................but I didn't.Tongue

There are 4 pots, all with self seeded lettuce in and, despite having hundreds of lettuces growing everywhere in the GH, I could not allow myself to pull up the ones in pots. Instead, I tried to poke the peas in at intervals, wherever there was room alongside the lettuce........counting as I did so...........1, 2, 3,4 then I dropped a few and they fell under the lettuce and I lost them! I don't even know how many peas I started with as I saved them earlier this year................actually, they may not even be Bijou but I think they are. Time will tell. Smile

I also have a tray of 5 year old Bijoux nestling in a bed of damp kitchen roll to see if they're viable. If they are I'll find them a space too, maybe another bucket or 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(21-11-2020, 04:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: Just for you, JJB, I thought I would count the number of Bijou peas I put into each pot and space them evenly......................but I didn't.Tongue

There are 4 pots, all with self seeded lettuce in and, despite having hundreds of lettuces growing everywhere in the GH, I could not allow myself to pull up the ones in pots. Instead, I tried to poke the peas in at intervals, wherever there was room alongside the lettuce........counting as I did so...........1, 2, 3,4 then I dropped a few and they fell under the lettuce and I lost them! I don't even know how many peas I started with as I saved them earlier this year................actually, they may not even be Bijou but I think they are. Time will tell. Smile

I also have a tray of 5 year old Bijoux nestling in a bed of damp kitchen roll to see if they're viable. If they are I'll find them a space too, maybe another bucket or 3.

1, 2, miss a few,  99, 100 - as we seem to have a childish theme today.  I appreciate your efforts Veggie, I know order is not your strong point  Tongue

I too planted peas today. Quite a novelty for me as I don't normally grow them, I got fed up with pea moth grubs. The Bijou are in cells on the window sill -  as yet unnoticed by P Big Grin.  I put some freebie Quartz in one MFB and some also freebie Hurst Green Shaft in another in the GH.  I got about 8 peas at 2" distance around  the circumference of an MFB, but where I had freebie seed sowed two to a position.  I might get around  to covering them up with fleece if tonight looks chilly.  The Bijou seed are precious as I bought them -  with real money!  I hope to sow some more in the spring and if they are as good as you say, I will try to save seed for future years.  See, you are an  influencer.  Or is it I am just easily led?

I sowed the BBs earlier in the week.  So you can rest assured my new GH is being used over the winter.  I have a couple of strawberries going pink, mimulus, euonymous cuttings, chard, beetroot and spring onions, carrots and begonia cuttings and now peas and beans.
The new GH has more light, everything struggled in the winter in the old one.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm impressed, JJB.................really, I am.

I also have some recently bought Bijou that I am saving for spring sowing but I'm happy to gamble with the saved ones.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Now then, everyone. Seeing were on the subject of peas. How do you avoid pea moth grubs in peas grown outside? I've tried with fleece but it was a faff on tall growing types and I'm not sure it doesn't prevent pollination. I resorted to mangetout because then you don't see the grubs, if any, and what the eye doesn't see, etc.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
JJB i cover my tall telephone peas with debris netting because I hate seeing those grubs in my pea pods.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Bijou peas have popped, they're going to have a bit of a shock going into the cold greenhouse at the weekend, poor things. We've started having overnight frosts this last couple of nights.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its that time of year again!!
Who's sowing overwintering peas and broad beans or any other beans?