Leek Advice
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I grew JA's for a few years without harvesting. I decided to dig them all out, but when I actually tasted them I found I liked them. Rolleyes

Last year I only dug up half the row so it will be interesting to find out what the other half of the row is like in its second year? Huh
The half I dug, still came back from the ones I had missed. Once artichokes are planted, you will always have artichokes. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I had to dig down nearly 4' to rid my plot of them....never liked the taste but the flowers looked great
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
If you are like me you will eat a lot of the green as well. Cool It annoys me when I see television chefs chuck the green section away! Angry

The green part has a stronger flavour and is more 'leeky' Smile[/quote] yes Vinny I agree with you on that, yet there was a bit onTV this morning just as I was going out, chef James Martin showed a good sized leek grown in his garden and he indicated that you just cut off the top couple of inches or so, then in a magazine there was bit by Monty Don which showed a picture of some leeks just harvested and most of the green leaf had been trimmed off, personally I think the supermarkets are a lot to blame as they like to display neatly packed, trimmed leeks
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-01-2021, 06:36 PM)Spec Wrote: If you are like me you will eat a lot of the green as well. Cool It annoys me when I see television chefs chuck the green section away! Angry

The green part has a stronger flavour and is more 'leeky' Smile
yes Vinny I agree with you on that, yet there was a bit onTV this morning just as I was going out, chef James Martin showed a good sized leek grown in his garden and he indicated that you just cut off the top couple of inches or so, then in a magazine there was bit by Monty Don which showed a picture of some leeks just harvested and most of the green leaf had been trimmed off, personally I think the supermarkets are a lot to blame as they like to display neatly packed, trimmed leeks
[/quote]

Totally agree Spec.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons