Leek Advice
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I dug up a leek today as it looked "stretched" and I thought it might be bolting. This is a bit of it - its 44" from root to tip of leaf!

I'll chop it off  (where the tip of the scissors is) and replant the roots tomorrow in the bed where all once-eaten leeks live out their lives, dreaming of spring and new growth. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(18-11-2020, 07:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I dug up a leek today as it looked "stretched" and I thought it might be bolting. This is a bit of it - its 44" from root to tip of leaf!

I'll chop it off  (where the tip of the scissors is) and replant the roots tomorrow in the bed where all once-eaten leeks live out their lives, dreaming of spring and new growth. Smile
Nice one Veggie, do you mind keeping us updated with photos?Smile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Photos of my stirfry? Wink
I'd have to label this particular stump as it'll be amongst its cousins who have been eaten before. I probably have a group photo somewhere if that will do?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
    Danny, these are replanted stumps - see how they clump up!

Photo taken last February.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(18-11-2020, 08:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: Danny, these are replanted stumps - see how they clump up!

Photo taken last February.
Oh yer, if you want you can call the new one Danny as stumpy is one of my nicknamesSmileSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(18-11-2020, 07:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I dug up a leek today as it looked "stretched" and I thought it might be bolting. This is a bit of it - its 44" from root to tip of leaf!

If you are like me you will eat a lot of the green as well. Cool It annoys me when I see television chefs chuck the green section away! Angry

The green part has a stronger flavour and is more 'leeky' Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I eat all the bits that aren't damaged - white or green. Too good to waste. Wink

BTW, I'll be replanting the beetroot tops too. They won't grow another edible root but they will grow leaves for picking and eating.
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(19-11-2020, 06:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: I eat all the bits that aren't damaged  - white or green. Too good to waste. Wink

BTW, I'll be replanting the beetroot tops too. They won't grow another edible root but they will grow leaves for picking and eating.
You do make me laugh Veggie, you probably have about a milion seeds but you are still replanting stuffSmileSmileSmileSmile

Fair play to you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its a compulsion! I have to keep things growing if I can. Beetroot leaves are very pretty. Smile
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(19-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its a compulsion! I have to keep things growing if I can. Beetroot leaves are very pretty. Smile
They are pretty however I have never eaten them, I assume you can have them raw, steamed, stir fried etc?

I'd never really grown beetroot before this year and have to say I've fallen in love with it. We now have it every Sunday with our roast, roast it in foil from frozen it's lovely.

I have two different varieties for next yearSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie