Being organised
Spec Offline
Looking through the threads I see that some folk have their seeds all organised, so was wondering how much time is taken up doing this as opposed to just putting them in a box then rummaging through all your seeds to get what you want and of course (we'll in my case) when you are doing that there is always other seeds that you come out with that you can sow, is there any spontaneous removal of other seeds when everything is organised?
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The thought of not have seeds organised is bewildering to me. I’d go nuts if I didn’t have them sorted in some way.
I still have spontaneous seed removal capabilities. They maybe organised but that still doesn’t mean I can remember every packet I have. So you go to get one thing out , you can still end up with a couple of extra things to sow.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Depends on how many seed packets you have!
If you're a tightwad with half a dozen packets, rummaging doesn't take long. If you're a seedaholic you need a cupboard. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Depends what you mean by removal. Removal for sowing happens often, removal for throwing away almost never. Many (freebie) pkts lie around the spare room for ages then get put away in one frantic burst of activity into their generic drawers. Much random scrabbling goes on inbetween, especially in spring.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
I don't organise my seeds, I have dozens and yes I mean dozens of seeds, I keep them in six biscuit tins, as well as a section of one of those shoe holder things with the pull down lid, I actually had two of those drawers but Oh got a wee bit funny about me not putting my shoes into it, I don't know why there was plenty of room on the floor for the them Rolleyes the nearest I come to organising is that I put them in a box, the first available box I lift Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
I group mine by year then roughly alphabetical after that. Open packets and those I sow multi times are in a separate box.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I keep mine in 2 boxes, no particular order, but try to group them together, examples is onions and scallions are kept together, all my different carrots are kept together. When I go rummaging for a particular seed I often find something I forgot I had and maybe plant it.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just a general idea of how I organise my seeds!
Flower seeds in a 4 drawer filing cabinet in the dining room (more a junk room as I can't remember the last time I've "dined" in there).
Flowers are sorted alphabetically - all As in one bag. If there are several Aquilegias, they're elastic banded together. Seeds are also divided into "Autumn or Spring sowing.
Each of the 4 drawers matches my 4 weekly Veg rotation - so in Week 1 (Roots) I sow Flowers A-F. Week 2 (Shoots) - Flowers G-L etc.

Still with me?
Veg seeds are in plastic boxes - More later!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Greenfingers Offline
Every Winter I go through and sort mine out. I have got a big box with smaller ones inside. Each box (in theory) is for a planting month. So for example everything to be planted in February should be in one box. This does work to some degree for me but by Autumn it tends to just be a big mess waiting to be sorted again.
[-] The following 5 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Veggie seeds are grouped in one box, broadly A-Z but wih brassicas all together as are leafy plants.
Flowers in another and herbs in a third.
I have a big sort out around December, clearing out old stuff (that goes into another box and I'll take a punt on some of that), setting up the new sowing spreadsheet and planning what to buy. We don't have much money so I do have to be quite careful about buying.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie