Growing garlic for the first time
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I bought some pink garlic and some white garlic, Don’t really know the difference between them, so I bought 1 packet of each.
I have sowed 2 bulbs of each, each bulb gave me about 11 or 12 cloves. I sowed the pink ones about 2 or 3 weeks ago and the white ones about 11/2 weeks ago.

They seem to be doing good so far, as I’ve never grown them before I have no base line.
This is what they are looking like. 

White

Pink

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 5 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Broadway Offline
They do look goodSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

JJB Online
Moonraker
Nothing wrong with those Can. I intentionally grew garlic for the first time last year (other years the unintentional garlic was only a small weak self perpetuating clump I had no idea where it came from). I made the mistake of planting the cloves in the spring and they didn't get a good period of cold so didn't divide. This year, like you, I planted some of last years Casablanca cloves that were trying to sprout 2 or 3 weeks ago and they look very similar to yours. I think we're both winners here.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have been criticised by a friend for growing my garlic in the tunnel they said it will be to warm, well my tunnel has the main door open and a mesh door closed it also has the mesh window at the other end, temperatures have been 5’C and less these last few weeks. Anyway today I noticed a number of the outer green shoots had started to turn yellow maybe a lack of water, I checked the soil it was not dry but I gave them a watering anyway . As I have never grown garlic before any comments would be welcome please. I can get some photos and post tomorrow
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Mamzie

Spec Offline
Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer Can, garlic needs a cold spell of under 10c for 30 nights which helps the cloves develop properly that's why your friend is a bit critical about you growing in a tunnel as for the leaves yellowing it could be the watering, which is another reason for growing outside their growing requirements of pH 4.5 to 8.5 which gives quit a wide range, but if you want to drop the pH a bit add a small amount of vinigar to a full watering can of water and soak the soil
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(13-01-2021, 02:15 PM)Spec Wrote: Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer Can, garlic needs a cold spell of under 10c  for 30 nights which helps the cloves develop properly that's why your friend is a bit critical about you growing in a tunnel as for the leaves yellowing it could be the watering, which is another reason for growing outside their growing requirements of pH 4.5 to 8.5 which gives quit a wide range, but if you want to drop the pH a bit add a small amount of vinigar to a full watering can  of water and soak the soil
Thanks Spec, I missed G&T do a ph test on the soil, BTW how long does it take for garlic to grow, and should I expect to see the bulbs above ground or below ?

Spec Offline
Garlic bulbs form below ground and it can take up 8 months till they are ready for harvesting, so you are looking toward mid August, they are not like onions where you wait till the leaves die back, though when a 3rd. to half the leaves have turned you should harvest, personally I gently remove some soil, without disturbing the roots, from around the bulb and if it's big enough I harvest hard neck garlic are considered hardier than soft neck but don't store as well, though I have never noticed any great difference
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Thanks Can - your thread has explained why we ended up with some garlic more like pickling onions Smile Have just moved our pots out of the cold greenhouse lol x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’m keeping my tunnel door open as outside temperatures are rising it was 12’C today at lunchtime
  • Mamzie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Update on my indoor growing garlic

• Vinny