Nature & wildlife pictures
Mikey Offline
(03-07-2020, 08:56 AM)JJB Wrote: No picture unfortunately but a red kite was eyeing me up overhead this morning on my trip round the 'estate'.  They were rare here until recently so such a joy to see one close up..
I like the word estate as it can be consider in quite different ways. I’m assuming as it’s in inverted commas you meant the garden, but at first glance I imagined you in Jodhpurs with Jeeves in tow Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(04-09-2020, 10:11 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 08:56 AM)JJB Wrote: No picture unfortunately but a red kite was eyeing me up overhead this morning on my trip round the 'estate'.  They were rare here until recently so such a joy to see one close up..
I like the word estate as it can be consider in quite different ways. I’m assuming as it’s in inverted commas you meant the garden, but at first glance I imagined you in Jodhpurs with Jeeves in tow Smile

Imagine away,!  I quite like that image.  Delusions of grandeur only, nothing further from the truth.  I have been known to wear jodhpurs,  but not for a long long time.  Estate could have meant 'housing estate' but that is false too.  I probably meant soaring over several different types of land, including gardens, farmland, railway embankments etc.   Who knows what was in my mind when I wrote it!  Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Little frog on the building plot. Moved him to a safer spot. I nearly ran him over!

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Great photo, SC. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
No idea what sort of fungi it is. It’s only a little. Nearly didn’t see them in the bit of rotting wood , I was about to see how far I could throw. I put them back until they’ve finished their tiny life cycle.

• Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Out for a walk today I saw about 6 buzzards in a field walking about. would they be looking for worms? I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago down a different lne.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah looking for worms and other insects.
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I believe that worms & invertebrates make up a big part of a buzzard's diet which explains their success (when not persecuted).
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-11-2020, 11:43 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Out for a walk today I saw about 6 buzzards in a field walking about. would they be looking for worms? I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago down a different lne.

I've recently seen the same thing only even more buzzards, maybe a dozen or more, I wondered what they were up to, so thanks for the info team.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(31-10-2020, 12:12 AM)Small chilli Wrote: No idea what sort of fungi it is. It’s only a little. Nearly didn’t see them in the bit of rotting wood , I was about to see how far I could throw. I put them back until they’ve finished their tiny life cycle.
A very similar one has just been identified by my local "Plant geek" - photos on FB. 
He says its :-
Mycena erubescens (Angels bonnet).

Cefn onn park on living tree trunk amid swathes of moss Hypnum cupressiforme.  The cap is unbelievably small being only 3-5mm dia. Solitary, in small groups or rarely clusters.
Look really hard. The light spot at 9 O'clock midfield is the specimen. It looks like a minute camera defect.
Angel bonnet closeup. The slanted attitude of the stipe is a deliberate diageotropic response. The cap has a pink blush.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli