Idiots guide to grow lights
Broadway Offline
(23-01-2021, 12:04 PM)JJB Wrote: Danny, what are you intending to put under lights?
Sorry JJB missed this!

Anything that actually germinates!!!

The plan was to do a test with 1 germinated seed on the windowsill and 1 of the same variety under the grow light. Unfortunately to date I have had 4 different seeds germinate therefore they are all on the windowsill!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-01-2021, 12:52 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 12:04 PM)JJB Wrote: Danny, what are you intending to put under lights?
Sorry JJB missed this!

The plan was to do a test with 1 germinated seed on the windowsill and 1 of the same variety under the grow light. Unfortunately to date I have had 4 different seeds germinate therefore they are all on the windowsill!

I could have been scientific, but for some unknown reason, wasn't.   I have a couple of more advanced  red robin tomatoes the same age under lights and one a week younger on the window sill. In hindsight I should have put one of the advanced on the sill (might still do that). The window one is fine but searching for light, the advanced ones are healthy an dumpy.  Some of the chillies are unusually stretched under the lights, maybe chillies like whole light rather than red/blue.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Broadway Offline
(01-02-2021, 10:19 AM)JJB Wrote:
(31-01-2021, 12:52 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Sorry JJB missed this!

I could have been scientific, but for some unknown reason, wasn't.   I have a couple of more advanced  red robin tomatoes the same age under lights and one a week younger on the window sill. In hindsight I should have put one of the advanced on the sill (might still do that). The window one is fine but searching for light, the advanced ones are healthy an dumpy.  Some of the chillies are unusually stretched under the lights, maybe chillies like whole light rather than red/blue.
I'm assuming it shouldn't be to hard to confirm the success or failure of the lights, hopefully I'll be able to join you soon but I'm not going to put them on for a couple of seeds.
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
If the plants are stretching, try putting the lights closer.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
OK, starting  to be scientific:

Red Robin tomatoes.  Sown indoors in ambient, no extra heat, on 3 Jan 21.  Transplanted and placed under lights on 14 Jan.

No.1 removed from lights and placed on windowsill,  No.2 remains under lights on 1 Feb.

Lights are approx 5" from tallest seedling

Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Update on Red Robin progress under lights. Tomato plant No.1 has been on a windowsill with a nearby radiator, so had more heat than No.2.  No. 2 has been under lights in ambient with no extra heat nearby.

At 1/2/21

At 9/2/21

No.2 (under  lights) is a greener, sturdier plant

Note: two tumbling toms are not as sturdy.

I think lights are here to stay.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Eyren, Spec, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Nice one JJB, you can certainly see the difference.
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'll continue monitoring until they get too big, I'm not altogether sure what I'm going to do with all the plants as they get bigger. Time will tell.
Nonetheless it's a very interesting exercise.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The relative progress of Red Robins - the lights make a huge difference to sturdiness and colour

Growlight box Mk II, Mk. I was getting a bit overcrowded so I made a bigger box.  Although the light is likely to be more diffused over a larger area, I figured it is better that than the plants being all bunched  up.

Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(24-02-2021, 03:42 PM)JJB Wrote: The relative progress of Red Robins - the lights make a huge difference to sturdiness and colour

Growlight box Mk II, Mk. I was getting a bit overcrowded so I made a bigger box.  Although the light is likely to be more diffused over a larger area, I figured it is better that than the plants being all bunched  up.
Thanks for carrying the flag Jen, I still have them switched off!