Idiots guide to grow lights
Broadway Offline
(10-11-2020, 01:27 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Here's an example of a DIY grow light using LED bulbs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIzB_8knLU
Hello TMTT

Watched this yesterday, I'm tempted!

One question for you, I see you can buy growlight tents or make your own setup, I'll be interested in what you did?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
Before the new grow light I was hanging the fluorescents from chains hooked onto a wooden frame made out of old bed slats and using walls of foil stuck to cardboard Big Grin It worked fine, yes there was a bit of light leakage but the plants didn't care.

The new light is much more intense and has to be hung higher above the plant canopy (12 to 18 inches as opposed to 4 to 6 inches for the fluorescents) so I needed something taller. I was initially going to build a grow tent/box out of wood/PVC pipe and mylar emergency blankets but COVID would've made getting the materials a faff and I don't think it would've ended up much cheaper than buying a tent.

You don't absolutely need a grow tent, reflective walls will do nicely. I think in that video he is using polystyrene insulating board covered with mylar. Matt white paint is also very reflective. Then you just need something to hang the light from.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Broadway Offline
(12-11-2020, 11:45 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Before the new grow light I was hanging the fluorescents from chains hooked onto a wooden frame made out of old bed slats and using walls of foil stuck to cardboard Big Grin It worked fine, yes there was a bit of light leakage but the plants didn't care.

The new light is much more intense and has to be hung higher above the plant canopy (12 to 18 inches as opposed to 4 to 6 inches for the fluorescents) so I needed something taller. I was initially going to build a grow tent/box out of wood/PVC pipe and mylar emergency blankets but COVID would've made getting the materials a faff and I don't think it would've ended up much cheaper than buying a tent.

You don't absolutely need a grow tent, reflective walls will do nicely. I think in that video he is using polystyrene insulating board covered with mylar. Matt white paint is also very reflective. Then you just need something to hang the light from.
Thanks again TMTT,

Quickly goes away to google mylarSmile
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
I have set up a growing area under a bench in the hut, it is made with silver coated poly sheeting lining the top and back and lit with 2 kitchen cabinet lights, I have just fitted a 3ft. tube heater as well, so far I have some lettuce from seed and some of my fuchsia plants are beginning to come into leaf, I will keep you updated with how it goes
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
(21-11-2020, 07:43 PM)Spec Wrote: I have set up a growing area under a bench in the hut, it is made with silver coated poly sheeting lining the top and back and lit with 2 kitchen cabinet lights, I have just fitted a 3ft. tube heater as well, so far I have some lettuce from seed and some of my fuchsia plants are beginning to come into leaf, I will keep you updated with how it goes
Do you have a picture of the setup Spec?
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
    A simple system that at the moment look's like it's working
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(22-11-2020, 04:36 PM)Spec Wrote: A simple system that at the moment look's like it's working
Thanks Spec looking good.

Spec Offline
I have more bother posting photos than setting up the lights, I am trying to let you see how the system is set up, photography like computers is not among my best attributes Rolleyes 

[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
After much dithering and procrastinating as to whether to invest in a pre made growlight thingy I've bought something.  I looked at building something myself but space, ability and where was a problem.  I looked at a ready made growlight/propagator system the Vitopod but it was £150+, then a Garland Growlight Garden at around £80. For my first year sowing really early and not knowing whether I will do so again I thought to find a less expensive alternative.  So I bought a cheap  LED light cluster that will clip on a desk in the spare room.  Seedlings seem to like it so far, but I'm not expecting too much for £17.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Mamzie, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(14-01-2021, 09:19 PM)JJB Wrote: After much dithering and procrastinating as to whether to invest in a pre made growlight thingy I've bought something.  I looked at building something myself but space, ability and where was a problem.  I looked at a ready made growlight/propagator system the Vitopod but it was £150+, then a Garland Growlight Garden at around £80. For my first year sowing really early and not knowing whether I will do so again I thought to find a less expensive alternative.  So I bought a cheap  LED light cluster that will clip on a desk in the spare room.  Seedlings seem to like it so far, but I'm not expecting too much for £17.
Looking good Jen, I like the background beersSmile

I'm hoping to set mine up at the weekend so will post pictures then.

How long do you intend to leave the lights on for?
  • Mamzie