Onions from seed?
Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I sowed onions from seed for the first ever time last year. I used modules and mutli sowed 5/6, but next year will reduce to 3/4 per module. High in Wales and sowed end of January, think will sow earlier in 2021 x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Depending on what size you want your onions Mamzie, I have a friend who sows 3 seeds per module and let's them grow like that without thinning he then harvests 3 reasonable sized onion from that at the end of the season as there are only 2 in the house the onions are a good size for them, if there are more than 2 in your household sow 2 per module and you don't need to thin out
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Thank you , I didn't thin out as was following Charles Dowling module sowing. But I do want them bigger this year, while using the space good. I may well go with 3/4 and try to use one as a spring onion Smile
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 3 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

mcdood Offline
I have some Onions - Bedfordshire Champion starting to show. Anyone else growing from seed this year?
Danny can I ask how did your Oct/Nov sowings go?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Broadway Offline
(06-02-2021, 08:40 AM)mcdood Wrote: I have some Onions - Bedfordshire Champion starting to show. Anyone else growing from seed this year?
Danny can I ask how did your Oct/Nov sowings go?
Hiya Mcdood

CrapSad I reverted to sets popped in modules.
Regards..........Danny Smile

mcdood Offline
Ouch Smile
You'd need to be able to supply some warmth and lights to start them that early. Early Feb works about right for me for seeds.
Sets are a lot easier to get going but I get a lot of bolting especially with reds and I also like the wider variety choice with seed.
You could maybe try sowing direct or in modules outside around middle to end of March if you have some seeds left and the will Smile

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I grow most of my onions from sets. The one exception are the spring planted red sets which always bolt for me.

To counteract this I sow (just sown some a couple of days ago) red, what I call torpedo onions in the spring. They usually perform well for me and have a sweet taste which makes wonderful onion gravy. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie

mcdood Offline
Are they the ones sometimes called banana shallots Vinny which I think are actually onions? I grow these too, zebrune variety.

Broadway Offline
(06-02-2021, 09:46 AM)mcdood Wrote: Ouch Smile
You'd need to be able to supply some warmth and lights to start them that early. Early Feb works about right for me for seeds.
Sets are a lot easier to get going but I get a lot of bolting especially with reds and I also like the wider variety choice with seed.
You could maybe try sowing direct or in modules outside around middle to end of March if you have some seeds left and the will Smile
Last year was the first year planting on the plot and I grew sets, still eating the onions so we were well pleased with the returnsSmile

I'll see where I am towards the end of March before deciding on seeds. With all the different perennial alliums I have on the go I may have my hands fullSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • mcdood, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(06-02-2021, 11:50 AM)mcdood Wrote: Are they the ones sometimes called banana shallots Vinny which I think are actually onions? I grow these too, zebrune variety.
I have grown Zebrune in the past which are a true shallot . These are Red Onion Tropea Rossa Lunga from Franchi seeds, not sure if they are the same as Long Red Florence , but similar. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie