New greenhouse - this may take some time and you might get bored
JJB Offline
Moonraker
As you know, I've been wittering on about this GH for some time.  First came the wish, then came the  site survey and feasibility study, then choosing which particular style, size, glazing, etc. Eventually after much dithering and searching questions from OH ( did I tell you OH is a obsessive planner) I order the thing.  We plan to place the GH on soil with perhaps a brick/block edge surround if needed.  I want to plant directly into the border soil.

Now comes the hard work. Site is grass and  isn't level so we have to deturf, de-stone, dig out potential planting borders as deep as possible, sieve the spoil and return to the border.  Make level.  I will post pics as we go along, but be warned this isn't going to be quick and could be boring. Rolleyes
Here's a before:

After deturf:

Border 1 dug out:

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 6 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s so exciting.
You seem to be getting the job done fairly quickly, first bed dug out already. Brilliant.
I look forward to the next progress report  Cool .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are you sure your OH isn't under that mound? There seems to be a lot more soil than you would have dug out. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Believe me we did have conversations as to who would end up in there. I did have a pic of him in the hole, but thought out of respect for his privacy I shouldn't post pics of him. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 7 users Like JJB's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Can the Man, Jay, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
My MiL could do with a new home Wink
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Offline
Veggie That was my first thought Big Grin when I saw the mound
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
We thought it would be a good place for grandma, but that would mean we would have to move her from the rockerySmile

Big GrinIsn't it amazing, just how much spoil there is from a hole !  Don't talk to me about the stones Big Grin.  And the dump won't take them at the moment so they're being stored in bags for when the dump opens.  Don't bother suggesting creating paths, done that and bought several tee shirts.  When we moved into this house in 1985 we spent ages removing stones from the veg patch. Enough to pave a neighbouring farmer's track.  And I've been collecting stones ever since.  I think they breed and have babies in the winter.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Jay, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Well, we've sieved the mound of spoil, backfilled into the left hand border/trench, and started to dig out the right hand border.  Will post picture when trench is dug.  I have backacheSad   All ready to start again tomorrow.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Jay

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-05-2020, 06:41 PM)JJB Wrote: Well, we've sieved the mound of spoil, backfilled into the left hand border/trench, and started to dig out the right hand border.  Will post picture when trench is dug.  I have backacheSad   All ready to start again tomorrow.
 Just checking on the whereabouts of your OH as there's no mention of his backache.  Dodgy
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mikey

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Who cares about his back! Digging is what he's built for. Seriously though, with a dodgy ticker and asthma and being 75, I think he's done wonderfully. He is project manager and has done most of the work, measuring and planning. I'm just a gopher and builder's mate. He digs, I sieve and collect stones.
I have threatened him with 'the hole' a couple of times, too late now until new trench is dug.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Jay, Small chilli, Veggie