Empty plot over the winter - to cover or not
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So, most of you know that I haven't grown much veg I've r the last couple of years. Pretty much beans, courgettes, and gourds Big Grin and then green house crops.

So when I dig up my dahlias and take down my bean poles apart from a small patch it will be empty until May. 

Last year I covered it all in black plastic that I found. It's ripped everywhere so I could only save a few sections. Ideas please. I'm not trooping round shops looking for card. But I am willing to buy something so long as it will last me several years and I can reuse lots.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Toughest thing I've found is pond liner. haven't use it on soil but have reroofed sheds and chicken run with it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Shame on you Scarlet. Rolleyes There is still loads of stuff you can plant. Even a green manure would be better than nothing. Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use weed fabric

Like this
https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/spare-acc...ed-control

Available from lots of other places. It does fray along the cut edge. I usually do something resembling a hem with staples not sewing to stop it happening. 

And lots of heavy rocks to keep it in place.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-10-2020, 03:34 PM)Vinny Wrote: Shame on you Scarlet. Rolleyes There is still loads of stuff you can plant. Even a green manure would be better than nothing. Huh
Is there a green manure that dies before spring, doesn't seed itself and doesn't need to be dug in?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(26-10-2020, 06:15 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(26-10-2020, 03:34 PM)Vinny Wrote: Shame on you Scarlet. Rolleyes There is still loads of stuff you can plant. Even a green manure would be better than nothing. Huh
Is there a green manure that dies before spring, doesn't seed itself and doesn't need to be dug in?
I dunno Veggie? I prefer to keep crops in ground over winter myself.

Its time to sow broadies and field beans are a  similar to broadies but would need to be hoed or dug in I imagine?

Sorry, but I have a dislike of non organic ground coverings, especially black plastic. Maybe its a 'me' thing, but hey ho. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Green manures are one of those fabled answers to bare ground - everyone suggests growing them but very few people actually have done - or if they have, they don't do it again!
They seem to me to be more about hard work than making life easy over winter. Most of them aren't edible - just don't see the point myself.

I grow Wizard field beans (and Aquadulce) over winter but not as a green manure but to give me some early beans to eat.
I chuck all my unwanted lettuce and brassica seeds on vacant ground - gives the chooks something to eat as well as me.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

I haven't got the back to dig it in. I've got an acre garden - lots of it has ground elder and I won't use weed killer. The only way I can do it is cover some of it.

There's also just two of us most of the time now. So l growing more food to give away doesn't make me happy anymore. BY the time the dahlias are all dug up there won't be long enough to grow much anyway and I really need to reduce the work. I would love to do more but it isn't happening.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
We grew forage peas and winter tares in 2 raised beds last year. In spring I chopped the stems at ground level and left the plants on top of the soil as a mulch, moving it aside when planting. This year we don't have much empty space in the beds due to garlic and overwintering brassicas, but when the chinese cabbage, kohl rabi and pak choi finishes I'll sow some forage peas again (it's probably a bit too late for winter tares).
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-10-2020, 09:29 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(26-10-2020, 06:15 PM)Veggie Wrote:
I dunno Veggie? I prefer to keep crops in ground over winter myself.

Its time to sow broadies and field beans are a  similar to broadies but would need to be hoed or dug in I imagine?

Sorry, but I have a dislike of non organic ground coverings, especially black plastic. Maybe its a 'me' thing, but hey ho. Rolleyes
But the dahlias won't be dug out in time for that? I would leave the tubers in if I could but the ground is clay and come jan is often very wet so they rot.

i don't like black plastic either so I'm looking for other options.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny