Autumn Tree & Shrub Planting
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Who is taking part in the traditional autumn planting season for trees and shrubs this year? This has been a ritual for us to beat the summer droughts, although last year the autumn was too cold and wet. 

It is currently 8 degrees and il pleut comme vache qui pisse  Big Grin but with low twenties and lots of sunshine for the next week I'll be getting some stuff in the ground.

I have a tetrapanax rex to go in, a gift from a friend who has one up to first floor height, plus a row of hypericum Hidcote to go in to smother a horrible weedy bank down by the road.

From cuttings there's  a winter shrubby honeysuckle, the fragrant white one, and a couple of pink shrubby honeysuckles, too. The names elude me and the labels are long lost!

How much any of it will surive the deer remains to be seen!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Had to look up your tetrapanax rex - thought it was a dog sized dinosaur! https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/te...rifer-rex/
Nothing much to plant out here - some hydrangea cuttings maybe and blackcurrants to be moved.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks for the link veggie. I had no idea what that was either. I like it.

I’ll be joining you with the autumn tree planting. The trees saplings will be the first things to go into their permanent homes on our building plot  Big Grin .

I’m just working out how I’m going to get the temporary fencing up to stop the deer getting to them. 

I plant this time of year because that when the trees are dormant. Oddly enough it has nothing to do with summer drought    Big Grin  Rolleyes 

We had over 5” of rain last week. The way this week’s going, we’re going to beat that !
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes!! I treated myself to some bare root roses.

Very excited about their arrival - a few weeks yet. Though I have to prepare the ground which is a pain.

David Austin has 15% off at the moment - I think the code is KEW - if that doesn't work please ask as I'm sure I have a couple more.
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
How lovely Scarlet, which ones?
I am beginning to become a roseaholic too, having bought some old French varieties in the spring Smile Now I just need to stop the deer eating them!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey

toomanytommytoes Offline
We have a bare root Admiration crab apple (photo attached) coming some time in November to replace an old cooking apple tree. Shame to see it go I guess as it must be quite old, but it's got canker, gets scab and mildew every year, the apples are rubbish and it shades the greenhouse.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I have a red leaved cherry plum and a mulberry to move. A red sentinal crab apple to go out and intending to get a few metres worth of fedging in. A part from that not much exciting planned.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 6 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-10-2020, 11:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: We have a bare root Admiration crab apple (photo attached) coming some time in November to replace an old cooking apple tree. Shame to see it go I guess as it must be quite old, but it's got canker, gets scab and mildew every year, the apples are rubbish and it shades the greenhouse.

if you’re cooker is a fair size maybe you could find a local wood turner to make you a bowl or something from it. Then you will always have a bit of you tree. 
if you do that,  make sure when you take it down to leave a big bit intact. A bit of the trunk probably about 3ft long. wood turners get very ar$ey if you just hand them a round that is the size for spitting into fire wood. 
It’ll take a while the wood will need to dry first.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-10-2020, 02:58 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: How lovely Scarlet, which ones?
I am beginning to become a roseaholic too, having bought some old French varieties in the spring Smile Now I just need to stop the deer eating them!
Desdemona 
mMme Alfred Carriere 
Princess Alexandra of Kent 
Emily Bronte 
x Eustacia Vye 
x Boscobel 
Hyde Hall 
Very excited with these!! I'm doing a huge revamp on a long border, I've been planning all year - it had several ash trees in so I'm planting the roses in areas that I've managed to clear and filling around where the roots are with loads of flowers grown from seed or cuttings. I've got lupins from SC, lychnis, loads of verbena rigida and nepeta cuttings, penstemon cuttings that I took earlier in the year - blackberry and purple czar, some purple geranium Roxanne, Orlaya and larkspur from seeds - loads already potted on. I also put up wires for clematis that I bought earlier in the year. 
It will take a couple of years to get it to look good I expect but I'm hoping it all grows. 

My husband has finally realised that after 20 years of cycling equipment and probably only been on the bike a couple of times a year that I'm not interested.
Funny how when I suggested that I could sell MY tandem that I had for Christmas one year that he suggested that he would buy the roses for this Christmas! Bike is still in the shed. 
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(27-10-2020, 08:26 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(26-10-2020, 11:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: We have a bare root Admiration crab apple (photo attached) coming some time in November to replace an old cooking apple tree. Shame to see it go I guess as it must be quite old, but it's got canker, gets scab and mildew every year, the apples are rubbish and it shades the greenhouse.

if you’re cooker is a fair size maybe you could find a local wood turner to make you a bowl or something from it. Then you will always have a bit of you tree. 
if you do that,  make sure when you take it down to leave a big bit intact. A bit of the trunk probably about 3ft long. wood turners get very ar$ey if you just hand them a round that is the size for spitting into fire wood. 
It’ll take a while the wood will need to dry first.
Great idea but I'm not sure there'll be enough decent wood for it. It's a weirdly shaped, gnarly tree: the trunk sort of zig zags then grows horizontally and the top of the canopy is only about 7 ft high. A lot of the lower trunk is half-hollow and I'll be leaving the stump in the ground and drilling holes in it to make bee nesting sites (but mainly because I hate digging out stumps Big Grin ).
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli, Veggie