Crop Rotation/Or not - Beans
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wonder whether he had less trouble with blight as I don't grow outdoor toms for that reason.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(12-10-2020, 05:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: This year I am trying an experiment. Weedy organic matter that I would rather not add to my compost dalek, I am just chucking it along the centre area between my been poles/canes. These are pretty substantial as they are held up by a greenhouse frame.
The theory is that as it rots down it will feed and keep the area I plant the beans. It won't be moved and should nourish the plants. Next year before planting I propose to pull some of the compost from the sides onto the sowing area and just keep adding to the central compost longhouse.
That's interesting Vinny, I have 2 daleks that are solely being used for the plot weeds this year and was going to try and utilise these somehow.

Was thinking of some sort of hotbed thingy for courgettes but may also use some for the bean areaSmile

Thanks for the idea.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mamzie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My runner beans grow in the same place as well.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(12-10-2020, 05:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: This year I am trying an experiment. Weedy organic matter that I would rather not add to my compost dalek, I am just chucking it along the centre area between my been poles/canes.

Out of interest, what organic mater would you rather not compost?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Mamzie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have an old water tank with a tight fitting lid....thankfully! I put most weeds in a sack and leave them to drown.

Resulting slurry in the sack then gets dug in....although tap rooted weeds are dried and burnt.

Lovely smelly water which is diluted and used as a liquid feed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I thought drowning for a year would kill any weed seeds as well as the weeds but it didn't. I tried drowning dock seeds in a wheelie bin but 12 months + later when I poured them out in a heap, I noticed quite a few germinating so I left the heap where it was for a long while (still not moved it 3 years later) but I haven't noticed any more trying to germinate lately.
I think dock seeds are particularly hardy in this respect as they will survive up to 50C in a compost heap I think I read somewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Mamzie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I rotate, but my parents had a fixed frame and probably grew runners in the same place for over thirty years! My dad was a great one for trenching, but after he died my mum quickly adopted the compost/manure on the ground in autumn approach with pretty similar results (but fewer aches and pains)!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I used to grow in same place for years. But since my hubby took over veg garden he rotates... Hes a sod for not trenching as well... (I do greenhouse, and seed sowing lol).
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 3 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-10-2020, 12:45 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 05:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: This year I am trying an experiment. Weedy organic matter that I would rather not add to my compost dalek, I am just chucking it along the centre area between my been poles/canes.

Out of interest, what organic mater would you rather not compost?
Mainly roots and leaves of docks, dandelions, creeping buttercup,nettles and elder. I am not too bothered whether they survive the composting process in the centre of the bean trench as I will not be moving it, just adding to it. Smile

My dalek compost will be spread on the plot and I would rather I didn't do more harm than good. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
One of the main reasons I have set up a permanent runner been position is because it is sheltered from the wind by the greenhouse. I have tried growing climbers in different positions on the plot  but they get battered by the wind. Where they are at they are still growing and have had minimal wind damage. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Admin, Broadway