Crop Rotation/Or not - Beans
Broadway Offline
Do any of you grow beans in the same place each year?
I'd hopefully like to grow them up the greenhouse frame again next year.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I do! Lots of gardeners have permanent bean frames.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
That's what I thought just wanted confirmation Veggie. Do you do anything special each year, trench or just a general tidy/feed?
  • JJB, Mamzie

Bren Online
Danny my runners have been in the same place for 12 years, I fill the planting trench with dalek compost and give them a sprinkle of BFB.
They seem to do well,
I sometimes overwinter a few plants in pots in the GH keeping them in dry-ish compost they soon throw out shoots in early spring.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(12-10-2020, 04:20 PM)Broadway Wrote: That's what I thought just wanted confirmation Veggie. Do you do anything special each year, trench or just a general tidy/feed?
Anything special, etc!!!
This is me you're asking not a proper gardener. Wink
I pull the weeds out and , if I remember, put a couple of chicken manure pellets in the planting holes. I start the plants in modules in the GH in new compost. That's it!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(12-10-2020, 04:37 PM)Bren Wrote: Danny my runners have been in the same place for 12 years, I fill the planting trench with dalek compost and give them a sprinkle of BFB. 
They seem to do well, 
I sometimes overwinter a few plants in pots in the GH keeping them in dry-ish compost they soon throw out shoots in early spring.
Cheers BrenSmile
  • JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(12-10-2020, 04:45 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 04:20 PM)Broadway Wrote: That's what I thought just wanted confirmation Veggie. Do you do anything special each year, trench or just a general tidy/feed?
Anything special, etc!!!
This is me you're asking not a proper gardener. Wink
I pull the weeds out and , if I remember, put a couple of chicken manure pellets in the planting holes. I start the plants in modules in the GH in new compost. That's it!
SmileSmileSmile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
This year I am trying an experiment. Weedy organic matter that I would rather not add to my compost dalek, I am just chucking it along the centre area between my been poles/canes. These are pretty substantial as they are held up by a greenhouse frame.
The theory is that as it rots down it will feed and keep the area I plant the beans. It won't be moved and should nourish the plants. Next year before planting I propose to pull some of the compost from the sides onto the sowing area and just keep adding to the central compost longhouse.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Same place for me too, although its a bit like Triggers broom as the poles dont move but I change 50% of tbe trench soil with manure
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Lawrence Hills thought there would be no problem growing beans in the same place for several years with may be manure and lime being added when needed.
If it is a long enough run in full sun, he suggested growing 2/3rds of it beans and 1/3 tomatoes and rotating the tomatoes along the row so it is beans 2 years then tomatoes for a year.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Mamzie, MartinH, Veggie