Mimulus
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've often thought about sowing annual mimulus but then read that it likes damp conditions and discounted it because I'm on stony flinty dry soil.  Now my pal who does not garden has a couple of pots of yellow and orange mimulus on her quite sheltered patio that she says come back every year.  When I asked if she did anything special with them she just looked at me quizzically and asked 'like what?'  So she gave me a small root of each and they are now filling 8" pots in the GH.  Common sense says they'll be ok in there over winter without much attention,  what's your opinion?   Are there different  varieties, i.e. annual and perennial?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I have the wild one - Monkeyflower - its yellow. Grows like a weed, self seeds freely.
Can't remember how to link a post on here but photos at
Garden And Gossip Forums Flowers and Ornamentals All about Flowers and Ornamentals Can you identify this flower and a leaf?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(11-10-2020, 04:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have the wild one - Monkeyflower - its yellow. Grows like a weed, self seeds freely.
Can't remember how to link a post on here but photos at
Garden And Gossip Forums  Flowers and Ornamentals  All about Flowers and Ornamentals  Can you identify this flower and a leaf?
I remember it well.  Mine are lower growing than yours, but when they're grown up they may be bigger.  I have high hopes of having lots next year.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=176

Just testing!
EDIT added link to previous thread and it worked!!
METHOD -
1. Find thread that you want to link to and copy URL in address bar at top of page.
2. Choose New Reply and select the chain link thingy on the tool bar - roughly in the middle or the icons.
3. A box pops up - paste URL into box. Write post and Enter.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Back to mimulus again. My gifted orange and yellow ones started as small plants in 2" pots, they now fill 8" pots. I'm tempted to prick out a few seedlings for eventually moving into the border. Question: will I regret planting these in the border? Will they be like bluebells and grape hyacinths and take over the world?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've come to the conclusion my mimulus are the rockery version. Low growing and very floriferous. They are starting to flower now in mid May and even the babies have flower buds, notwithstanding that they've been outside in all the cold nights. If anyone wants any babies or seed (I'm not sure whether they set seed though) just say. I will take pics as they bloom properly.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm struggling to weed out that wild one I mentioned earlier - that one sets seed and fires them everywhere.
Don't know about yours, JJB. If you like it, its not a problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(16-05-2021, 04:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm struggling to weed out that wild one I mentioned earlier - that one sets seed and fires them everywhere.
Don't know about yours, JJB. If you like it, its not a problem.

Maybe I'll regret giving it a home.  We'll find out in time  Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man