What’s in, what’s out ?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-10-2020, 09:10 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 06:41 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm relying on SC to decide which single chilli I'll be growing next year.  It will be a magical mystery tour of the chilli world.  As I don't use many it may be more cost effective to just buy a pkt from the supermarket. Smile
They were posted today  Wink .
I'm excited to see what you've chosen, will make a change from bills and bank statements.   Thanks.  Your cuttings are waiting eagerly to be put in a padded envelope and a visit to the post office.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-10-2020, 06:51 PM)Can the Man Wrote: I really liked my Killian and Lemonella so I will grow again, definitely not joe longs or apricot, not sure about apple crisp have yet to use them, a number of them became infected with some kind of burrowing insect in the fruit. Don’t know about my yellow bumpy yet, there’s a good crop of fruit but they are still green and I will definitely grow some more capsicums they were great, still producing fruit. I would like to try some scotch bonnets next year.
CTM what variety of capsicums did you like?  They're on my list for next year too.
Greetings from Salisbury

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(08-10-2020, 08:26 AM)JJB Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 06:51 PM)Can the Man Wrote: I really liked my Killian and Lemonella so I will grow again, definitely not joe longs or apricot, not sure about apple crisp have yet to use them, a number of them became infected with some kind of burrowing insect in the fruit. Don’t know about my yellow bumpy yet, there’s a good crop of fruit but they are still green and I will definitely grow some more capsicums they were great, still producing fruit. I would like to try some scotch bonnets next year.
CTM what variety of capsicums did you like?  They're on my list for next year too.
JJB, they were 2 plants I purchased locally from a garden centre doing home deliveries during lockdown in April or May, in typical Irish fashion when we asked if they had any chilli plants they said yes and when I asked what type I was told mild or hot, so. Went for hot. I have since researched and established that they were capsicum annum cayenne, just nice for a curry, I put 3 or 4 whole into a slow cooked curry, or if I’m making a chilli con carne I chop up 3 and put them in, they say in my chilli bible (RHS red hot chilli grower) that’s they are 30-50,000 SHU, I think more like 20-30,000. I love licking my finger so for hours after i have chopped them up. BTW they freeze great whole, I keep them in a zip lock bag.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-10-2020, 08:38 AM)Can the Man Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 08:26 AM)JJB Wrote:
JJB, they were 2 plants I purchased locally from a garden centre doing home deliveries during lockdown in April or May, in typical Irish fashion when we asked if they had any chilli plants they said yes and when I asked what type I was told mild or hot, so. Went for hot. I have since researched and established that they were capsicum annum cayenne, just nice for a curry, I put 3 or 4 whole into a slow cooked curry, or if I’m making a chilli con carne I chop up 3 and put them in, they say in my chilli bible (RHS red hot chilli grower) that’s they are 30-50,000 SHU, I think more like 20-30,000. I love licking my finger so for hours after i have chopped them up. BTW they freeze great whole, I keep them in a zip lock bag.
My mistake, by capsicums, I thought you meant  sweet peppers, not hot ones.  I now have room for sweet peppers , which we eat a lot of.  SC has chosen a single chilli for me which I'll try, but we don't use a lot of those, so I expect one plant in one year will keep me going for ages.  Doesn't it cheer us up just thinking and choosing what to grow next year. Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I didn't have much luck with capsicums this year - our ancient conservatory (a cheapo Wickes model installed by the previous owners) is too hot for reliable growing unless you watch everything like a hawk, and outside weather was too unreliable.

We're getting the conservatory replaced next spring, though, with UV filter glass and better ventilation (big investment, but it'll be good for the overall value of the house), so I'm hoping for better growing conditions as well as easier access to the garden.

Out

Buying chilli plants at the garden centre - not much choice, way too expensive (especially if they fail!). Only did it this year as I left things far too late to start my own.

In

Sweet peppers and mild chillies - I don't like hot ones, and I can get jalapeños easily enough from the supermarket

Already bought:

• Trinidad Perfume
  • Hungarian Black
  • Ancho Poblano

To buy (waiting impatiently for Real Seeds to restock!):

• Lipstick
  • Orange Bell
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes