What’s in, what’s out ?
toomanytommytoes Offline
Monkey Face has done quite well for me this year, even though it's shoved in the back corner of the greenhouse, been shaded by the cucumbers and other peppers, and I can barely reach the pot for watering. I have to look from the outside of the greenhouse to see it properly. Big Grin

This is my first year growing Ajis (Pineapple, Havana Gold, Delight) and even though they're productive and interesting, the plants are too wild and gangly. Same for most chinense varieties, they're just too big, but also take forever to fruit and I don't use them enough to justify growing them. If the greenhouse was bigger I'd happily try these again, but space is at a premium and to make the cut a variety has to be early, productive and relatively compact.

The Alberto's Locoto Rocoto I will be overwintering and next year it can go outside when night temperatures are high enough. It didn't like the heat of the greenhouse and kept on dropping its flowers. It was getting too big to stay in there anyway so it got shoved outside and has not only survived the storms and rain but has flowered prolifically and set a decent number of fruit.

Out is Thai Hot: productive but the fruit are too small and fiddly. Also Fish, which last year was really productive, as the super variegated plant this year grew very well but didn't set a single fruit!

From chillies I basically want 1. green jalapenos 2. a mild, green, fleshy type 3. green/red cayenne types. So, in are Super Tramp, Hot Juanita for a windowsill and Damian for the greenhouse, all of which are cayenne types. Early Jalapeno is back since Gourmet Jalapeno didn't really impress me, as well as Numex Pumpkin Spice (orangey jalapeno, supposed to be higher yielding than Early). Hungarian Hot Wax stays.

Also in are more early, compact sweet peppers. Varieties which impressed me this year and which will be back next are Amy, Semaroh, Shishito, Sweet Chocolate, Tangerine Dream and Etiuda. I've also found seed of dehybridised versions of Mohawk F1 and Redskin F1. New varieties for next year are Oda, Lipstick, Red Belgian and Jimmy Nardello.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
What’s in, what’s out ? - by Small chilli - 07-10-2020, 02:07 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by Veggie - 07-10-2020, 02:12 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by Vinny - 07-10-2020, 05:38 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by JJB - 07-10-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by Small chilli - 07-10-2020, 09:10 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by JJB - 08-10-2020, 08:24 AM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by Admin - 07-10-2020, 06:43 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by JJB - 07-10-2020, 06:58 PM
RE: What’s in, what’s out ? - by Small chilli - 07-10-2020, 09:23 PM