What’s in, what’s out ?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Getting to the end of another chilli year. 
What’s going to be changing on your grow list next year?
Out 
Thunder mountain longhorn ( love growing it. But it does need a perfect Summer to perform well. And it’s an absolute pain to freeze because they are so big )
Monkey face ( another one needs perfect conditions )
Mystery chillies (if I don’t know what it is , it’s not staying)

Reduction in numbers 
Padron
Apple crisp 
Havana gold ( to be grown in chilli grows only. Wow they are thirsty plants !! )

In 
Definitely AJI pineapple 
Lot of other things (undecided)
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
As usual, they're all out for me (sorry) but I love the names - especially Monkey face. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Yep, definitely mystery chillies or in my case a packet of mixed chilli seeds with no information about what they may contain. Its like Russian roulette with the taste buds!  Big Grin
Habanero's have been heavy croppers but they are very small, so they may get the chop next year as well. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm relying on SC to decide which single chilli I'll be growing next year. It will be a magical mystery tour of the chilli world. As I don't use many it may be more cost effective to just buy a pkt from the supermarket. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Admin Offline
The Boss
I know nothing about growing chillies, i dont like over hot as I feel it detracts from the flavours of other food, my old nan used to say only bad cooks use lots of spicies Smile

I fancy giving some a go, Scarlet sent be some seeds once but something in my green house took a fancy to them.

So what chilli is slightly hotter than mild?
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I really liked my Killian and Lemonella so I will grow again, definitely not joe longs or apricot, not sure about apple crisp have yet to use them, a number of them became infected with some kind of burrowing insect in the fruit. Don’t know about my yellow bumpy yet, there’s a good crop of fruit but they are still green and I will definitely grow some more capsicums they were great, still producing fruit. I would like to try some scotch bonnets next year.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Admin Wrote: I know nothing about growing chillies, i dont like over hot as I feel it detracts from the flavours of other food, my old nan used to say only bad cooks use lots of spicies Smile

I fancy giving some a go, Scarlet sent be some seeds once but something in my green house took a fancy to them.

My thoughts exactly.  The problem being, our mild+ might be someone else's  (who eats chillis raw, seeds and all) tasteless.  I used to work with someone who looked upon eating the hottest chillis raw as a competition in manliness.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-10-2020, 06:41 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm relying on SC to decide which single chilli I'll be growing next year.  It will be a magical mystery tour of the chilli world.  As I don't use many it may be more cost effective to just buy a pkt from the supermarket. Smile
They were posted today  Wink .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Admin Wrote: I know nothing about growing chillies, i dont like over hot as I feel it detracts from the flavours of other food, my old nan used to say only bad cooks use lots of spicies Smile

I’d suggest a good all rounder jalapeño.  Or maybe apple crisp, ugly miss shaped pods. Very juicy & fleshy with a bit of heat, but not over the top. Havana gold beautiful flavour not to hot at all. Down side mice really like them as well and they are very thirsty. I’d also try Trinidad perfume , very little heat but stunning flavour.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Monkey Face has done quite well for me this year, even though it's shoved in the back corner of the greenhouse, been shaded by the cucumbers and other peppers, and I can barely reach the pot for watering. I have to look from the outside of the greenhouse to see it properly. Big Grin

This is my first year growing Ajis (Pineapple, Havana Gold, Delight) and even though they're productive and interesting, the plants are too wild and gangly. Same for most chinense varieties, they're just too big, but also take forever to fruit and I don't use them enough to justify growing them. If the greenhouse was bigger I'd happily try these again, but space is at a premium and to make the cut a variety has to be early, productive and relatively compact.

The Alberto's Locoto Rocoto I will be overwintering and next year it can go outside when night temperatures are high enough. It didn't like the heat of the greenhouse and kept on dropping its flowers. It was getting too big to stay in there anyway so it got shoved outside and has not only survived the storms and rain but has flowered prolifically and set a decent number of fruit.

Out is Thai Hot: productive but the fruit are too small and fiddly. Also Fish, which last year was really productive, as the super variegated plant this year grew very well but didn't set a single fruit!

From chillies I basically want 1. green jalapenos 2. a mild, green, fleshy type 3. green/red cayenne types. So, in are Super Tramp, Hot Juanita for a windowsill and Damian for the greenhouse, all of which are cayenne types. Early Jalapeno is back since Gourmet Jalapeno didn't really impress me, as well as Numex Pumpkin Spice (orangey jalapeno, supposed to be higher yielding than Early). Hungarian Hot Wax stays.

Also in are more early, compact sweet peppers. Varieties which impressed me this year and which will be back next are Amy, Semaroh, Shishito, Sweet Chocolate, Tangerine Dream and Etiuda. I've also found seed of dehybridised versions of Mohawk F1 and Redskin F1. New varieties for next year are Oda, Lipstick, Red Belgian and Jimmy Nardello.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie