Starting Broad Beans in Pots
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Afternoon all.

I have sow broad beans in my schedule for next week, but the bed that will be early beans and peas still has pumpkins growing in it that may still produce harvestable fruit. Normally I'd give it another week to see how the pumpkins do, but I'm going to be away for almost three weeks, so I'm thinking of sowing them now in big pots and then transplanting maybe in November. 

In general. I've found pot-sown broadies do less well, but last year we had torrential rain from mid October up until December so it was impossible to work the ground (heavy, very heavy clay!) and I missed the boat with autumn sown broadies. Spring sown never do so well.

What to do?!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-09-2020, 12:47 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Afternoon all.

I have sow broad beans in my schedule for next week, but the bed that will be early beans and peas still has pumpkins growing in it that may still produce harvestable fruit. Normally I'd give it another week to see how the pumpkins do, but I'm going to be away for almost three weeks, so I'm thinking of sowing them now in big pots and then transplanting maybe in November. 

In general. I've found pot-sown broadies do less well, but last year we had torrential rain from mid October up until December so it was impossible to work the ground (heavy, very heavy clay!) and I missed the boat with autumn sown broadies. Spring sown never do so well.

What to do?!!

With your commitments elsewhere PP you haven't got much choice.  If you have enough seed, hedge your bets , sow some BBs before you leave in  pots, with the plan to sow some more on your return if/when the beds are free and hopefully manageable. Worst case you can spring  sow, hopefully.   Leaving the garden for 3 weeks must be a wrench with so much to do.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Thanks JJB - that's kind of what I'd decided.

Leaving th garden is a pain - so much is still maturing - but my mum is finally able to move house so it can't be helped and I'm so pleased for her Smile My neighbours will eat what they fancy so it won't go to waste.

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Broadway Online
I sowed most in pots last year but also put some seeds in the ground when the plants were planted out. TBH I didn't see a lot of difference so will not be sowing/planting until next year.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
A quick update on this - I sowed two large pots each of two varieties the first week in October and they were through when we got back three weeks later. Today I planted out ten each of Masterpiece & Grano Violetto which were a really good size.
I also sowed a row of each the day after we came back and they're just starting to push through, so all in all it has worked out well, thanks largely to a very mild autumn (we're still harvesting outdoor courgettes & peppers).
Thanks all for your input. Smile

[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Glad it worked for you PP, you'll be doing the same next year now. Wink
I sowed some in the GH a couple of weeks ago but they're only just breaking the soil. Must start some more.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Broadway Online
Ok I’m now going to contradict myself and sow some this weekend, reasons being:-

After sorting my seeds I found some from 2017, will sow these now, if they do not germinate I still have time next year

Ditto regards self-saved seeds, never saved any before!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • PyreneesPlot