Leek help please.
Neffa Offline
After the accidental throwing away of my baby leeks is it too late to start again?
If not (trunk crossed in hopeful anticipation) should they be started in a pot or sown directly into their space.
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don’t know enough about leeks to be much help. If they’re a winter hardy variety I’m guessing you’re ok for a late crop. I’d really wait till someone that knows what they’re talking about comes along.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I don't know, but given that planting out season is close upon us, I would say it is too late. But agreed that a late season variety might be OK.
Can you buy any from a nursery (sorry, don't know if they're open) or blag some from another grower? I almost always have more than I need/have room for.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa

Curly Offline
Yes you still have time to sow, I always think leek do better when transplanted, there is less chance of them being pulled out thinking its grass, or growing grass thinking its leeks, but you could sow in a pot and sow direct and see the difference in performance
[-] The following 3 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, PyreneesPlot

Neffa Offline
Ta for the help.
I’ve had a go at getting some online because it’s impossible to go and get them but the ones I’ve found just aren’t worth the cost.
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You know my motto - Try it and see. If you don't try, you won't know.Smile
Leeks are one of those things I sow throughout the year. Baby leeks are often tastier than the bigguns.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, Vinny

Curly Offline
Came across something about leeks recently about watering leeks so want to know how often you water leeks?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Curly's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Mine get watered in on planting and then every few days if it is scorching (which it usually is in June) for the first 2-3 weeks and then just occasionally if it remains hot & dry.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France