Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus
Admin Offline
The Boss
I wouldnt plant the rhubarb out, i dont think it will survive the winter yet. I would put it in a much bigger pot with some well rotted manure in the bottom. Potted rhubard can be planted out any time once its big enough
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Asparagus likes to spread its roots quite widely and is quite a shallow rooter as well so wouldn't be keen on staying in a pot longer than necessary. You could plant them out now or in spring and you have plenty of choices of what to do. If the final bed is ready you could plant them out so they never need disturbing again and interplant them next year with crops that wouldn't disturb the roots.
When I grew some from seeds, I planted them out at 1year in a block about a foot apart and then forked them up carefully at 2 years into their final position. If I was doing it again, I would have discarded any weak ones at that stage as I have some, 4 years later, that are not really doing anything.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Broadway Offline
(15-09-2020, 10:42 AM)Admin Wrote: I wouldnt plant the rhubarb out, i dont think it will survive the winter yet. I would put it in a much bigger pot with some well rotted manure in the bottom. Potted rhubard can be planted out any time once its big enough
Ok thanks BossSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(15-09-2020, 09:34 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Asparagus likes to spread its roots quite widely and is quite a shallow rooter as well so wouldn't be keen on staying in a pot longer than necessary. You could plant them out now or in spring and you have plenty of choices of what to do. If the final bed is ready you could plant them out so they never need disturbing again and interplant them next year with crops that wouldn't disturb the roots.
When I grew some from seeds, I planted them out at 1year in a block about a foot apart and then forked them up carefully at 2 years into their final position. If I was doing it again, I would have discarded any weak ones at that stage as I have some, 4 years later, that are not really doing anything.
Ok thanks Mark, will plant out in a week or two in the final bedSmile
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(15-09-2020, 10:42 AM)Admin Wrote: I wouldnt plant the rhubarb out, i dont think it will survive the winter yet. I would put it in a much bigger pot with some well rotted manure in the bottom. Potted rhubard can be planted out any time once its big enough
Hiya Admin

As suggested I potted into larger pots with compost / manure but they seem a little unwell / dieing back. Is that just natural and they should spurt again in the spring?
  • Can the Man

Jimny14 Offline
Dont know if it's any help Danny, but our rhubarb has started its annual die back. Stems going floppy and laying down under the weight of the leaf. Wont be long before I chop em all off n use em as mulch around themselves, wish some FYM if I can get some for the winter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(05-10-2020, 10:38 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: Dont know if it's any help Danny, but our rhubarb has started its annual die back. Stems going floppy and laying down under the weight of the leaf. Wont be long before I chop em all off n use em as mulch around themselves, wish some FYM if I can get some for the winter.
Thanks Jimny

I'm assuming as you say it's the annual die back, just hoping they will surge back next yearSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Admin Offline
The Boss
Will be fine as long as you haven't burried the crowns
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Broadway Offline
(06-10-2020, 09:08 AM)Admin Wrote: Will be fine as long as you haven't burried the crowns
I dont think there were any proper cowns yet, they are less than a year old?
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Jimny14 Offline
I'm sure they'll be fine Danny, in my experience all my rhubarb over the years are tough as old boots and thrive on neglect, especially if they're growing somewhere you would rather it isn't.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Can the Man