Sweet peppers
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I plan to make a success of sweet peppers next year.  I think I've failed in the past. Because the plants were always overshadowed in the greenhouse by tomatoes.  So my question is:

What variety of sweet peppers have you had success with under cover.   I'm fond of the orange ones in the shops as I think they're sweeter.  I have a pkt of freebie seeds Etiuda Orange which I will give a try.  Has anyone else tried them?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/sweet-...a/ka9976TM

Haven't grown them myself so I looked at the seed supplier's website for information..............don't.

My pet gripes - incorrect information on websites and here's another one - but it is T&M so I shouldn't be surprised,
If you read the Sowing and More Info sections its all about chili peppers...
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Greenfingers Offline
Never tried those particular seeds. I always grow "Gypsy" peppers as I find them reliable here in the north of England. They give lots of peppers per plant and are great at any colour, green, yellow/orange and red.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I find slugs make a bee-line for my peppers no matter what I do. Pellets in the greenhouse. night time raids. It only needs one even baby slug I think to eat a hole in a big pepper and ruin it. Aubergines are resistant to some extent. they can eat a hole but that can easily be cut out but peppers get slimed on a lot of the inside and rot. Just been out now and killed about 10 in greenhouse.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I must admit I do treat my sweet peppers the same as my chillies. I’ve not really tried many varieties. When I found one I liked, I just stuck with it. The variety I grow is Palermo . I admittedly got them out of peppers I brought from a cheap supermarket. But they’ve been fantastic and the seeds have lasted 4 years. This was the first year I’ve struggled with germination. They are a big pointy sweet Pepper with lovely flavour. After a quick google because of your question. I’ve found seeds available.

https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/...osQAvD_BwE

This I’m very pleased about, don’t think I isolated mine early enough to save seeds and I really need more. So thank you  Smile

This is mine at the moment. They get big given the chance and they need a lot of support. 

The one useful bit of advice I can give you about sweet peppers is NEVER GROW CALIFORNIA WONDER!!!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Greenfingers Offline
The one piece of advice I'm giving myself is grow more next year as due to our new addiction to curries I ran out this year ( the freezer was bare). I had to buy some (wonky ones) and the skins were like rhinoceros hide.
[-] The following 2 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-09-2020, 07:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/sweet-...a/ka9976TM

Haven't grown them myself so I looked at the seed supplier's website for information..............don't.

My pet gripes - incorrect  information on websites and here's another one - but it is T&M so I shouldn't be surprised,
If you read the Sowing and More Info sections its all about chili peppers...

Veggie, is that don't grow peppers at all, or don't grow Etiuda because its T&M?  My only reason for that variety was that I had the seeds freebie, but I think I have other freebies as alternatives.  I might even splash out on some Palermo on SC's recommendation, hang the expense. Smile  The same query applies to aubergines.  I will give them a go too, probably using freebie seeds
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't grow peppers at all - though I have attempted to in the dim and distant past.
Much like aubergines - they've had their year - next year it will be something different - though I do have some Kermits to grow.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Etiuda is pretty good, a compact plant and early to ripen...it even gave me a few ripe fruit outdoors earlier this year. It's probably one of the earliest orange bell peppers available. Mini-bell peppers like Mohawk and Redskin are also quite early, or at least much earlier than a full sized bell.

Apart from Etiuda I've been pretty impressed with Amy, Semaroh and Sweet Chocolate.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks so much TMTT, just the info I wanted, if you even got some outdoors, it gives me hope. Any recommendations for aubergines?- i will have a look at the aubergine thread too.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man